Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Tranny doesn't want to shift

Old 07-13-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny doesn't want to shift

Need some help trying to figure out why my 93 f150 automatic transmission doesn't want to shift out of first gear
Not much of a mechanic but know my way around a truck decently.
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-13-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull codes helps a lot O'reilly's does the older OBDI codes or jumper the EEC-IV in the Engine bay mounted next to the fender on driver side by the firewall right by the hinge for the hood.

Could be a sensor or tranny itself codes help alot!

What Transmission does yours have? The E4OD or the 4R70W? Will tell you in the door panel next to the label TR. E for the E4OD can't remember for the other but will be either or.

The 4R70W has an extra sensor and it's right on top the transmission is why I ask. Mine was having horrible shifting problems and I fixed it initially with a VSS it's a sensor they both have on the rear differential. The 4R70W has an extra one like I said it's called the TSS. I have the E4OD so I wouldn't know to much about that one.

That and a strange problem I had is I did a computer swap that the store and website both said was good for all AUTOMATIC transmissions ended up being programmed to read the 4R70W and couldn't find the TSS cause it didn't have one and messed my shifting up bad. Swapped computer back to original and cleared it up.

Pull codes any more details you have? Does speedometer bounce around?(in correlation with the VSS) Does it shift okay if you try to manually shift it from 1 to 2 with the column shifter? Does it go ahead and shift just really delayed and high revved?

Kind of newer to this as well but I just did a lot of work to my 94 5.0 and been through the ringer I may be able to help you out! Best thing though for sure pull some codes. And the VSS is only $20 at O'reilly's where i'm from.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny doesn't want to shift