Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Timing notches on sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Timing notches on sprockets

I just finished replacing my timing chain and sprockets and everything is exactly as I took it off but as I'm watching videos and even looking in my shop manual the 2 sprocket notches are different than mine. The small sprocket notch at top and large sprocket notch at bottom. On mine the large sprocket notch was at top and small sprocket notch at top but still lined up with one another. Why is mine different? Disregard the purple nail polish lol if you look close enough at the bigger sprocket you can see the timing notch at the top.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You might have had it set exactly opposite of where you should have been when you pulled the gears - remember the crank goes around twice for every time the cam goes around once.
If you had turned the crank one more full revolution you would have had the cam notch at the bottom and the crank notch at the top, which is the way it's normally done. Because it's easier to see that the notches are lined up exactly by putting a straight edge from the keyway to the center of the cam bolt and make sure the marks on the gears are exactly lined up.

I can't see your picture because there's a glitch in the website or my computer, but if you put it back together exactly the way you took it apart, you should be ok; but before you close it back up I would suggest that you now turn the crank one full revolution (with the chain and cam gear installed) and that should bring the cam notch around to the bottom so you can make sure you have it all lined up properly.
The following users liked this post:
ReT_SqUiD (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok that makes sense. I'll rotate it once more so notch is at bottom. Ya the new gears and chain is exactly as old one was. Thank you for the info!