Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Tax refund decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Tax refund decision

So just thought if throw this out to you guys and see what ya think. Through hard work and overpaying I've got some refund money coming and plan to do a project. Here's my problem. I can either fix up my 66' mustang or do a 4wd conversion on my truck. Here's the details. The truck deserves some fun for working so hard. It's my daily driver so is have to do the job quick. I will be using bone yard parts so if something doesn't hold up or I don't find parts I may get stuck. I am in an apartment so there is no storage space for parts and no lift. On the other hand, my mustang was my first car. It took me to prom to my job, to school and through the Army. It was how I learned mechanics ( with is how I make my living now ). It's got a nice warmed up 302 putting out near 400 HP. Runs like a champ. I've built the engine, changed to a stick, converted to disc breaks and completely modified and restored the suspension. After sitting for 5 years I just repaired an oil pump issue and it can be driven. The bad part is the tires are shot and the sheet metal is all original, damage, surface rust and all. So the plan for the Mustang is to finally make it look as nice as it runs. New tires, maybe rims. New fenders, repair the headlight bucket and weld in a new floor. While I'm at it ill customize the seat mount to give me some head room. I have a shiny new front bumper in storage and I'll spend some hours with some sandpaper and lay some paint down. This is something I've wanted to do since I got the car in 93. But it won't get me off road. Or I could blow off both and pick up a motorcycle. What do you guys think? Anyone got any tax round projects planned.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Toy one or Toy 2 or buy a Third Toy?

I try to think practical. Sounds like you want to do the 4 wheel conversion for off road fun, but not necessity. Same scenario for the mustang. The motorcycle, if your willing to ride in all weather situations, may be suitable. You've got two great projects and the motorcycle will be a third. If it were me, again, thinking practically, I'd buy another F150, 4x4 if you can find one, and call it good to go. If you find the 4x4, you can continue to drive your current truck, park and update the new truck. If you find a 2 wheel drive, you can park one and fix up the other. When it's done, sell the other or update it. Good opportunity to complete a project and then make your money back on the flip side. I didn't mention the mustang because you need to keep that one and not sell it. Using a second truck while you need it and selling one off is the financially responsible thing. Wow, would my wife get a kick out of hearing me say Financially Responsible! Lol

Last edited by unit505; 01-18-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Restore the mustang.plain and simple. I own a 70 mach 1 that we fully restored. Best thing I've every spent my money on.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Spend the money on the 66 mustang.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by unit505
Toy one or Toy 2 or buy a Third Toy?

I try to think practical. Sounds like you want to do the 4 wheel conversion for off road fun, but not necessity. Same scenario for the mustang. The motorcycle, if your willing to ride in all weather situations, may be suitable. You've got two great projects and the motorcycle will be a third. If it were me, again, thinking practically, I'd buy another F150, 4x4 if you can find one, and call it good to go. If you find the 4x4, you can continue to drive your current truck, park and update the new truck. If you find a 2 wheel drive, you can park one and fix up the other. When it's done, sell the other or update it. Good opportunity to complete a project and then make your money back on the flip side. I didn't mention the mustang because you need to keep that one and not sell it. Using a second truck while you need it and selling one off is the financially responsible thing. Wow, would my wife get a kick out of hearing me say Financially Responsible! Lol
I've thought about that. Unfortunately another vehicle in my apartment isn't possible. I could look for a new truck and sell this one. The motorcycle will fit in the parking lot between my 2 spaces and be much cheaper on gas. I'm still leaning toward the mustang though.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My vote goes to the mustang, hands down.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Oooo a Custom Title.

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Mustang, Why is this a question?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you should get a good set of tires for the 'Stang.
Use the rest of the money for hookers and blow.

Seriously, spend the money on the Mustang.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

save the money.... buy a house with a garage and fix them both....
Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
save the money.... buy a house with a garage and fix them both....
x1000

And any other project you drag home. Nothing beats having a well-equipped shop.

Quick Reply: Tax refund decision