Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

summit house brand headers

Old 12-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summit house brand headers

jegs wouldnt/couldnt price match summit so i ordered their house brand. i figured they would be headman or flowtech but theyre actually pacesetters. the finish isnt the best but fit is great. i more of a function over fashion guy so im pretty happy with them. before anyone gives me crap about buying shortys.... i went that route because im on a super tight budget. they bolt up to the factory y-pipe. i dont have it finished yet but i also cut the stock muffler off and welded a flowmaster on it that i had from a previous part out. should sound pretty good. i'll let you know in a few hours. my only complaint is that they didnt come with plugs for the egr so i bolted a couple drain plugs in the holes. 1 3/4 thumbs up.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM

So did you see/feel any gains?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 PM

not yet. heres the good part... i figured out the y-pipe was toast too. now im looking at spending another $200. it wouldve been cheaper to buy long tubes (that wouldve made better power) and paid someone to run duals with the flow masters i have. now... im going to have just under 400 in shorty headers and half of an exhaust system. thats what i get for trying to go cheap.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can save some money by exiting the exhaust before the rear wheel, I am going to put long tubes on hopefully this summer, I will do all the work, its not that hard and I can find all the parts at a parts store cheaper than a real kit.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 PM
WOOF

is there enough room in a 4x4 for long tube headers?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:03 PM

heres the update... i picked up an off road y-pipe from jegs yesterday. i cut the egr tube off and welded it shut. from there, about 6" of pipe going into a used flowmaster. the chevy truck i parted out had newer exhaust on it so i pieced that together and dumped it out right in front of the rear tire. i cleaned the o2 and reused it. it sounds nice and runs a lot better. even with two year old gas. the manifolds were leaking so bad that the o2 was making it run insanely rich. i made too many changes to give an idea of what the headers would have done alone. with the changes and a tune, it will go sideways if you stand on it at 15mph. and thats with a fiberglass cap.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Ahahahahahaha!!!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stangjunkie
. i cleaned the o2 and reused it.
how do you clean an o2 sensor?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM

actually, i just used carb and choke cleaner with a brush then wiped it dry on my shirt. classy huh? i feel like i read/ heard somewhere that its a bad idea because it creates a film on it causing false readings. whatever, it was covered in carbon, im broke and it seems to work just fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: summit house brand headers