Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

steering box adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering box adjustment

ive adjusted the set screw on my steering box ive tighted it one full turn with no improvment in the steering how far can this be adjusted ive checked everything else so i know its the boxl ican teist the shaft going into it and the pitman arm does not move at all
Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay I am going to ask this once and only once. Please use capitals and punctuation. That being said I will answer your question now. If the truck still steers badly the only option left may be to replace the box. You are doing something that can be potentially dangerous. I mean dangerous to the point that the steering could lock up on you and cause an accident. If one full turn on the screw had no effect then I would replace the box. I am sure someone else will chime and say to turn the screw some more. It is your choice but you must also remember these vehicles steer like trucks not like cars. The newer trucks have better suspension and steering components which make them steer better.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AuroraZero
Okay I am going to ask this once and only once. Please use capitals and punctuation. That being said I will answer your question now. If the truck still steers badly the only option left may be to replace the box. You are doing something that can be potentially dangerous. I mean dangerous to the point that the steering could lock up on you and cause an accident. If one full turn on the screw had no effect then I would replace the box. I am sure someone else will chime and say to turn the screw some more. It is your choice but you must also remember these vehicles steer like trucks not like cars. The newer trucks have better suspension and steering components which make them steer better.
I would replace the box. do you really want your truck to have sloppy steering going down the freeway.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Turn the screw some more.

If the steering doesn't return to center on its own then it's too tight.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Turn the screw some more.

If the steering doesn't return to center on its own then it's too tight.
See? Knew there were a few weirdos here lol
Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 PM
We'd do it

Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guys pretty sensitive on the capital letters dang I thought since im from Arkansas I would get a free pass on this.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM
We'd do it

Don't forget to check the rag joint too.

Quick Reply: steering box adjustment