Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Starter, relay, or other issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Starter, relay, or other issue

This is what my truck was doing. I start it at least 25 times a day. As of recently, I would hear the starter "whirl", but not every time. I would turn the key and it would start on the second or third attempt. Know that I have replaced my positive, negative, the smaller lead to the starter, the relay, and the terminal ends at the battery within the past year or two, I figured it was the starter (being original).

So I got a new starter, switched it, and clipped the lead wire to stick in the connection wire on the starter that they supplied. I then put some of that grease you can buy in a small pack that you would normally use for electrical connections on all the connecting points. Now all it does is whirl. So I picked up a relay and still just whirl. I disconnected the smaller lead wire, clipped the ends, added new connectors and put it together and still whirl.

So this is my thought, the "bendix"(?) is not engaging so the small lead wire is a problem. Or, In installing the starter, the arm is not extending because it is hitting something. Or, I have a bad starter (tested at AutoZone before it was sold to me). Or, that grease I put on is diverting or grounding voltage so that it doesn't have enough power to engage. Or, something that I have no clue about.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

It's a '96, 300, e4od.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, I figured it out. I have the wrong starter. I got the one for a manual transmission instead of an automatic which the manual has a shorter throw.

Quick Reply: Starter, relay, or other issue