Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Squeeeeky belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeeeky belt

I have a ninety one f150, 302.
Last summer the a/c went out, so, not wanting to dump another huge chunk of money into the old thing (212,000 mi.) I decided to take off the compressor and put on a pulley kit in it,s place.
The only thing is ever since I put this kit on, the belt squeals like insane crazy loud. I can do a quick squirt of armor all, windex, ect and the squeal goes away immediately, but comes back nearly as quick.
I have a few ideas of why this noise, like when the belt breaks over the center of contact with the pulley, but just a guess. The pulley is plastic.
Any advice I would greatly appreciate.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Happy Holidays and Welcome to F150forum.com ... Lots of good guys and information on here... Be sure to post some pictures

is the belt tight??
Old 01-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Your pulleys are dirty...the worse thing you can do is spray crap onto your belt and pulleys. Remove your belt and clean "ALL" your pulleys and belt contact surfaces..use rubbing Alcohol as a final wipe down and buy a new belt...a good belt...not a cheap one. DAYCO or Gatorback (POLY COG) when your cleaning pulleys check to make sure you don't have any bad ones...this could cause your squeal also.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 AM

I made the same mistake with spraying belt dressing on my bronco's belt. I ended up replacing the idler pulley, and the crank pulley and cleaning the rest to get all that crap off there then i got a new belt and it went away. Your belt was probably shot when you put the pulley on then it started making noise and you sprayed the armor all on there just making it worse. So like techrep said clean and check out your pulleys and a new belt and you should be back in business.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

gatorback belts are pretty tough... thats what i have to run on my f250 or it will squel when i shut it off...... and i will replace my stock f150 belt with the same when its time
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

i second the gatorback belts, they have fixed several squeaking issues ive had on my trucks.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM
FNG

Originally Posted by techrep
Your pulleys are dirty...the worse thing you can do is spray crap onto your belt and pulleys. Remove your belt and clean "ALL" your pulleys and belt contact surfaces..use rubbing Alcohol as a final wipe down and buy a new belt...a good belt...not a cheap one. DAYCO or Gatorback (POLY COG) when your cleaning pulleys check to make sure you don't have any bad ones...this could cause your squeal also.
What he said...and make sure that everything is tight. The slightest give between the belt and any pulley will cause you to sqweek.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
I thank you and everyone for the tech info and am going to go get on it.

Quick Reply: Squeeeeky belt