Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Speedometer/Odometer Not Working, ABS Light On

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Speedometer/Odometer Not Working, ABS Light On

94 F150 XL
5.0L V8 302
Automatic,

So the truck sat for a year before I got it. When it was parked a year ago odometer and speedometer worked and the ABS light was off. I assumed the culprit was the Speed Sensor. After a second trip to the parts store to get the 'correct' speed sensor (I had to take a drill and bore out the hole in the bracket in order for the bolt to the rear diff. to fit), I install the new sensor. Still no speedometer, or odometer. Although now the ABS light does not come on immediately after the engine turns over, it comes on after the transmission shifts into drive.

Does anyone know what my problem might be? Might it be the cable that runs from the speed sensor, and where does this cable run to? Or am I way off, and it's something entirely different causing these issues?

Thanks for any help,
Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Distance from the Exciter Ring to the Speed Sensor. The gap could be an issue but I don't think it is....

I think it's a fuse that is blown...That's the only think I can think of for not have an odometer reading. The sensors rarely go bad...That's just my opinion.

The ABS light coming on could be a bad plug or wire from the ABS Sensor to your speedometer. The 2 wires go under your dash...I gota go to work or I would type more good luck...Ill check back later..

Last edited by Toplait; 03-10-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Toplait
I think it's a fuse that is blown...

Just checked all the fuses with a tester, both in the cab and in the distribution box under the hood. All of them tested good. All of them appear to be seated well too.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdickins87

Just checked all the fuses with a tester, both in the cab and in the distribution box under the hood. All of them tested good. All of them appear to be seated well too.
May have a bad PSOM...Have you tried posting on this webpage? http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/
The following users liked this post:
jdickins87 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM

I haven't checked the PSOM yet.

I'm wondering if it might be the wire that runs to/from the speed sensor, to wherever it runs to/from. Does anyone know the path this wire follows so that I can check the connection at the other end, and check the wire to see if it is grounded out somewhere in between?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:58 PM

Question

Update:

After getting under the truck to take a look at the wiring to the speed sensor, I notice the rear def has been leaking from the sensor. After more closely comparing to the original: I notice a size difference between the two. After a tip to Napa this time instead of Auto Zone I finally have a speed sensor (no. 3) that is the same, relatively (plastic instead of metal). After installing it the ABS light is now off. However, speedometer and odometer are still not working... Any thoughts?

Thankful for any help,
Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 AM

The 1st VSS:

The 2nd VSS:

The VSS that stopped shut off the ABS light, but didn't fix the odometer or speedometer:
Attached Images    
Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM

Might have to pull the cluster out and inspect it... Pretty easy to do just pull the head light **** off, 2 trim strips, 8 bolts, unplug the fuel tank selector switch and you should be able to pull it all out.

Other then that the wires that go from the VSS sensor to the speedometer are messed up..

That's just my opinion for the speedometer...

For the Odometer mileage reading...That has got to be some sort of power issue or connection going to the speedometer or just a bad cluster. You'll have to take it out if you cant find a bad fuse or wire..Replace the speedometer if necessary...No guarantee it is going to fix it..

I don't know if these are the problem. You should keep asking around before you start throwing parts at it.

Last edited by Toplait; 03-21-2014 at 11:08 AM.
jdickins87 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Don't know if this helps but the guy I got my 94 from had a similar problem. He told me that he bought the truck from PO who had it sitting for a while. Everything worked before but speedo/odo didn't work at time of purchase. He replaced a few parts (don't remember the list) but ended up having to replace the cluster. Can't say it was only the cluster because he also replaced a few parts as well, but I would be leaning towards the cluster it's self, or at least the connections to the back.
jdickins87 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 AM

I called pick a part today. They said they charge $5.50 per gauge, or $38.50 for an entire cluster. For $5.50, I'm just going to buy a replacement speedometer/odometer gauge with PSOM on the back, so I don't end up having to pull my cluster twice. Then I'll pull my cluster, clean it and look for any lose connections or damaged wires, and if I don't find any throw the new PSOM in.

Anyone know how to tell if the 'new to me' PSOM is any good? (Be my luck I'd pull from a truck that had the same issue as mine, and still not have any answers) Is there any preference I should give to which truck I should pull from if I have options? As far as I know, any 92-96 F series or Bronco should work. Any benefits/drawbacks from any particular models?

Quick Reply: Speedometer/Odometer Not Working, ABS Light On