Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Spark Plugs/Rotor Cap/

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs/Rotor Cap/

What kind of wires and plugs should j get for my 96 f-150 5.8 Eddie Bauer

also should I do rotor cap distributor while at the wires and plugs, I've been having an intermittent rough idle and sometimes the truck stalls but maybe 1 or twice a month
Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 492 Likes on 426 Posts

For plugs, I would go with either Motorcraft or Autolite which basically are the same. Wires if available, I go with OEM or Motorcraft. Same would go apply for cap and rotor. I have been burned too many times with aftermarket junk. Best place to get parts is Rockauto.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Everything raski said. But it would be prudent to diagnose the stalling problem and figure out what is causing it....there's nothing more frustrating than throwing money at a problem only to find out it was something completely different.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Everything raski said. But it would be prudent to diagnose the stalling problem and figure out what is causing it....there's nothing more frustrating than throwing money at a problem only to find out it was something completely different.
Thanks, I'm trying to find it but, I'm a kinda stuck and I just was told by a friend that doing spark plugs and wires would be good to do just to know that they are good and eliminate that as a possibility, I have replaced the TPS, IAC, cleaned the throttle body, replaced EGR, and after doing the TPS the stalling has gone way down from when j bought the truck 7 months ago, I thought the TPS solved it but idk
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 AM

When it stalls, is it usually while you are driving, or at idle?

Suggest taking it to an auto shop and having them pull codes off of the computer, if there are any. And while you are there, rent a fuel gauge and measure the fuel pressure on both tanks. If nothing else it will eliminate fuel delivery as a problem.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A new fuel filter might not be a bad idea also.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:32 AM

When it stalls, is it usually while you are driving, or at idle?

Suggest taking it to an auto shop and having them pull codes off of the computer, if there are any. And while you are there, rent a fuel gauge and measure the fuel pressure on both tanks. If nothing else it will eliminate fuel delivery as a problem.
thanks for responding so quickly, I have replaced both fuel pumps when I bought the truck because one of them was bad and giving me a lean code, also I have replaced the fuel filter but am thinking about replacing it again as I dropped some dirt in the tank when replacing the fuel pumps also I have a reader but there aren't any codes right biw
Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Alrighty. Can you give more details of how it stalls? Is it random? Highway driving? When you put it into reverse? These details are key in diagnosing it....sometimes.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

If the truck isn't running right, and you change parts without diagnosing the problem, you can't know if the new parts helped or hurt. (YES, new parts can be bad.) Don't do maintenance while there's a problem. Diagnose & repair the problem FIRST, then throw parts on for no particular reason. If the truck suddenly runs worse, you'll know it's the new parts. But if it already runs badly, you won't notice, and diagnosis will be harder because now there are at least 2 problems to find.

If you want us to really help, you have to put ALL the truck's details into your signature so we can see them with each of your posts. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:37 AM

Alrighty. Can you give more details of how it stalls? Is it random? Highway driving? When you put it into reverse? These details are key in diagnosing it....sometimes.
It's when it's idling that it stalls never while I'm giving it gas, it has done it a couple times when in reverse and no gas being given but always idling, one time it started up really rough and when I drove it it didn't have power and felt like it was miss firing but then it just stopped and power came back, mostly in reverse but idling

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs/Rotor Cap/