Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Some help with no start diag please

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM
IJK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some help with no start diag please

although its not an f150 its in my 95 full size bronco 5.8l which is a small f150 a couple weeks ago, i was driving it around and went to get on the highway, i mashed on the gas and it dove face first and almost stalled. i eventually got up to highway speed using only a 1/4 throttle. i figured it was a fuel problem, well went to get in it one day and it would just crank and crank then when i let off the key it would sputter a few times. checked the scrader valve fuel just trickled out. anyways put a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator, check fuel pressure with a gauge got 35 psi with key on engine off. it started right after i putthe pump in but still the same thing when you mash on the gas it wanted to stall. well went on vacation for a week in a diff vehicle get in it to start it today and it just keeps cranking and cranking then sputters when i let of the key just like before. tach works when cranking so crank sensor is most likely good. correct me if im wrong. sprayed some starting fluid in intake and it sputtered like it wanted to start but then it started knotting up when it was cranking like it would turn over and felt like the crank would kick back so i pulled the plugs thinging it was hydrolocked well the plugs we dry as could be so i cleaned them off put em back in not when i crank it just keeps chuggin and sputtering like it wants to start but doesnt. tryed to start it with my foot on the throttle, and wide open throttle i have not idea what the H%&# is going on and its bugging me out, i know thats alot of info but i figured it would help you help me.

mopete
Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to try to pull some codes on this man. Something definitely is not right at all here. I do not want to throw suggestions and have you buy parts and then it not work. See if you get any codes at all and post back. https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-re...es-obdi-10907/ This is how to pull them for free man. Let us know the results and we can go from there.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM
IJK

oops forgot to mention that! after it was going thru the 1/4 throttle run alright, fall on its face with more throttle, i checked codes and i got 111 which is all systems passed, ill try it again tomorrow to see if anything new came up, i work at a used car dealership and my boss who has been in this business for over 30 years, his son, and i are all mind boggled about it. do you think it could possibly be a blocked up cat?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 PM
IJK

oops forgot to mention that! after it was going thru the 1/4 throttle run alright, fall on its face with more throttle, i checked codes and i got 111 which is all systems passed, ill try it again tomorrow to see if anything new came up, i work at a used car dealership and my boss who has been in this business for over 30 years, his son, and i are all mind boggled about it. do you think it could possibly be a blocked up cat?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be but let's see if any codes come through. Also do a fuel pressure test if you can.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like it jumped time, and running realy retarded. Pull off cap and see if rotor points to #1 when crank pointer aligns. If this is a DIS system with no cap and rotor, use the cam sensor to check for alignment with the crank pointers.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:28 AM
IJK

i did the fuel pressure test yesturday and got 35 psi koeo ill do cranking fuel pressure and ill pull codes once i go to work today. i pulled the cap off to see if it was corroded or anything and it was all fine. the rotor will only go back on one way and i left all the wire hooked up to the cap and put it back on the way it was when it was running. anything else i should check as far a sensors or anything
Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
IJK

checked codes again today and i got 111 all systems passed ford key on engine off cant do key on engine running cause it wont start. So i dno what is going on here
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM
IJK

alright got it start problem was the rotor wasnt in the right position, but i still have the problem of when i push on the throttle hard it hesitates and starts sputtering.but if i can slowly creep up to any speed any ideas now.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As I tried to state earlier, you have jumped time. Your timing chain has jumped. Just reseting the rotor is only half the repair. If it was not pointing to #1 tower when crank marks align, the camshaft has jumped a tooth or two.

Engine timing, crankshaft turns camshaft which in turn, turns distributor. The 5.0 engine cam with a cam gear that had a plastic coating for noise control (I guess). Wtih age, the plastic gets hard and breaks away causing the chain to be real loose and can jump a tooth.

Quick Reply: Some help with no start diag please