Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

smog pump UNdelete

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog pump UNdelete

I have 91 f150 with a 351W

when i bought the truck the emissions system had all but been removed and i am having trouble finding all the parts i need to put it back in as i am in California and the truck will not pass emissions in its current state.

i have the vacuum res (coffee can)
the air pump inlet silencer/filter
my TAD and TAB sensors are still in place (capped but not removed)
the thermactor pump inlet silencer/filter
the check valve for the cat
crossover tube

from what i can gather all im missing is the air bypass/diverter valve and the air pump itself and of course all the hoses that goes along

might be more worth it to get it "smoged"
Old 02-20-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The coffee can is known to fail. Around '94, Ford replaced it with a plastic reservoir, which does the same thing, but lasts forever. I recommend using it instead. They're common in JYs.

The TAB & TAD with wires are solenoid valves - not sensors. But the air valves that they control through vacuum lines are also called TAB & TAD. You should be able to find them & the hoses in any JY with these trucks.

The air pump is the thermactor pump, so there's only 1 inlet filter.

There should also be a check valve on the crossover tube. All the emissions components are indicated on the VECI label under the hood somewhere (usually above the master cylinder, but sometimes on the air filter cover or core support):

(phone app link)

Click these & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

With a little legwork, this can be done VERY inexpensively.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been to sever jy around where I live and even some that err only ford and didn’t see a single f series truck if you were lucky it was a couple rangers (basically totaled) and a Van

So I’ll probably end up having to buy it all except the rubber hose for the vacuum I can get that for free

How dose it connect to the cat? I want to put true duals with long tube headers would I have to hook the emissions system up to both cats?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That last diagram & the NEXT few show how it's connected to the exhaust.

True duals & headers won't help the truck in any way. They'll make it hotter & noisier, and they'll require more maintenance more-often than direct-replacement parts. And I doubt you can still buy the ones with CARB numbers because the demand is so low now that they're probably out-of-production for a decade or more. So it won't be legal, or accomplish your primary goal of registering the truck in CA.

The stock parts work well. When the truck is properly maintained, it's plenty powerful. If you want it to run well & economically for a long time, just maintain it - don't try to re-engineer it.

Quick Reply: smog pump UNdelete