Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Sloppy Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Sloppy Steering Question

Hi Everyone,
My truck's steering is pretty vague, so I popped the hood and took a look at the steering shaft. With the truck off and wheels on the ground, I can reach down and rotate the shaft (from inside the engine compartment) about 1/5 - 1/4 turn very easily. Also when behind the wheel, there is a similar amount of slack when turning the wheel before the wheels actually start turning. When the truck is running, the steering is easy, so I don't think that there is a problem with the power steering system, but it's still pretty sloppy. The steering wheel also has some slack in the up and down directions, making me think that there may be a worn bearing and/or gear. Any suggestions on a way to narrow the issue down any and/or things to consider checking/replacing?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazarus-F150
Hi Everyone,
My truck's steering is pretty vague, so I popped the hood and took a look at the steering shaft. With the truck off and wheels on the ground, I can reach down and rotate the shaft (from inside the engine compartment) about 1/5 - 1/4 turn very easily. Also when behind the wheel, there is a similar amount of slack when turning the wheel before the wheels actually start turning. When the truck is running, the steering is easy, so I don't think that there is a problem with the power steering system, but it's still pretty sloppy. The steering wheel also has some slack in the up and down directions, making me think that there may be a worn bearing and/or gear. Any suggestions on a way to narrow the issue down any and/or things to consider checking/replacing?

Thanks!

The Steering Box seems to be a weak point in these trucks, so take a look at that. If you replace it, plan on spending about 300 bucks to get a good one like a Redhead. I went cheap when I did mine and I wish I would have just got the good one to begin with, because that's what I'm going with when I replace this one!
Old 05-12-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 05-12-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Energized
Thanks! I adjusted a quarter turn last weekend and it made the issue a little better, but its still a problem. I've put less than 100 miles on it since adjusting, so I'm going to drive it a little more before making another quarter turn adjustment. I hope that it ends up being that simple! I'll report back after the next adjustment.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

On my '87 farm truck, we just went for the gusto & bottomed the set-screw and tightened the nut. That took all the slop out, but did leave it a tick more effort to turn. I suspect it will soon wear to fit. That even took away the pump whine for some reason. I don't feel that this was dangerous, it isn't that tight, & especially on this truck, which sees more field miles than highway miles.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

You need to CONTINUE checking for slop. As you turn the input (intermediate shaft) to the steering box, observe its OUTPUT (pitman arm). If the input moves, but the output doesn't, the box is worn out (and adjustment WON'T fix it). If the output moves with the input, then the slop is downstream from the box - check the tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings...
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve83:
BigBlue1124 (09-17-2019), Lazarus-F150 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
You need to CONTINUE checking for slop. As you turn the input (intermediate shaft) to the steering box, observe its OUTPUT (pitman arm). If the input moves, but the output doesn't, the box is worn out (and adjustment WON'T fix it). If the output moves with the input, then the slop is downstream from the box - check the tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings...
Thanks, Steve! What if there is vertical play in the steering wheel? Does that suggest that the gears/bearings in the steering shaft are worn out? Can you recommend a way to check? If that's the case, should I just replace the steering shaft?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

What if there is vertical play in the steering wheel? Does that suggest that the gears/bearings in the steering shaft are worn out?
There are no gears in the steering system, except inside the steering gear box.
Can you recommend a way to check?
Not without seeing ALL your truck's details in your signature:

(phone app link)

The cause of vertical slop depends on exactly which column the truck has, and there are at least 6 possibilities for trucks in this forum. Be thorough with your signature. Mine is NOT an example (because I'm not asking for help). Clint's is a good start, but you should have at least double that much info.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
There are no gears in the steering system, except inside the steering gear box.Not without seeing ALL your truck's details in your signature:

The cause of vertical slop depends on exactly which column the truck has, and there are at least 6 possibilities for trucks in this forum. Be thorough with your signature. Mine is NOT an example (because I'm not asking for help). Clint's is a good start, but you should have at least double that much info.
Does the info that I put in my new signature help, or still need more?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Sig looks good to me.

Vertical play in the steering column can't be good - my guess is either the tilt mechanism is shot or the bearings in the column are going/gone. Repairing a steering column can be a PITA job so if you can find a replacement column, that would be the way to go IMHO. 4 bolts hold it to the dash, a single bolt holds it to the steering shaft, and a few electrical connectors.

Quick Reply: Sloppy Steering Question