Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

six liter tune up

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default six liter tune up

anybody done the six liter tune up on our trucks? how well did it improve mpg and/or overall performance? thanks
Old 06-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

I did a tune up period and bumped up the timing to around 14 degrees. Firs thing is a basic tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, wires and possibly a new coil can't hurt. They are cheap enough. If you want added power and mpg - the biggest bang for the buck is to replace the mechanical fan with a set of electric fans from a chrysler or ford sedan. Easily REGAIN 20hp and quite a bit of throttle response. Allot of us have removed the factory airbox and replaced it with a cone style filter. Reducing intake restrictions will increase throttle response. This will make for a warm air intake, but there is ZERO gain in a cold air intake on these factory tuned motors. The added throttle response along with a responsible throttle foot will increase mpg. I get 21 highway on my '95 and could get 15-17 on my 5.0. A few other tips that go a long way are added grounds from the battery to the frame and relay activated headlights with heavier power and ground wires to the headlights. They sell kits for this in the $50-$80 range. You can DIY for less than $20. A heavier charge wire from the Alternator to the battery helps as well. You do not have to replace the charge wire. You can get away with adding a second wire of the same gauge or heavier. Brighter headlights, more power for the electric fans. The fan conversion can run as little as $50 including a proven fan controller from Advanced Auto Parts.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/electr...ght=e-fan+swap

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/just-g...ht=gained+8mpg
Old 06-28-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by unit505
I did a tune up period and bumped up the timing to around 14 degrees. Firs thing is a basic tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, wires and possibly a new coil can't hurt. They are cheap enough. If you want added power and mpg - the biggest bang for the buck is to replace the mechanical fan with a set of electric fans from a chrysler or ford sedan. Easily REGAIN 20hp and quite a bit of throttle response. Allot of us have removed the factory airbox and replaced it with a cone style filter. Reducing intake restrictions will increase throttle response. This will make for a warm air intake, but there is ZERO gain in a cold air intake on these factory tuned motors. The added throttle response along with a responsible throttle foot will increase mpg. I get 21 highway on my '95 and could get 15-17 on my 5.0. A few other tips that go a long way are added grounds from the battery to the frame and relay activated headlights with heavier power and ground wires to the headlights. They sell kits for this in the $50-$80 range. You can DIY for less than $20. A heavier charge wire from the Alternator to the battery helps as well. You do not have to replace the charge wire. You can get away with adding a second wire of the same gauge or heavier. Brighter headlights, more power for the electric fans. The fan conversion can run as little as $50 including a proven fan controller from Advanced Auto Parts.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/electr...ght=e-fan+swap

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/just-g...ht=gained+8mpg

how much does the six liter tune up cost roughly?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

I think I spent about $120 on oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, Etc.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by unit505
I think I spent about $120 on oil, filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, Etc.
and did you notice much of a change in mpg or performance?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:38 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

That's kind of hard to answer. Yes - Massive mpg gain. But!!!!!!!! I had let the maintenance go for a LONG TIME!

Quick Reply: six liter tune up