Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

single to dual tanks!!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default single to dual tanks!!!!

is it possible to make a 1 become a 2 . . .im looking to do this the correct way i have a 1987 f150 302 standard flareside yes of course id have to cut out to make the fill tube but how woulld i do this is it already on the stock harness and all id have to do is buy the selector switch the rear tank and with pickup and the fuel line switch or am i looking at a custom job where i have to splice wires make a seperate switch etc

Thanks Tom
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 87Ford
is it possible to make a 1 become a 2 . . .im looking to do this the correct way i have a 1987 f150 302 standard flareside yes of course id have to cut out to make the fill tube but how woulld i do this is it already on the stock harness and all id have to do is buy the selector switch the rear tank and with pickup and the fuel line switch or am i looking at a custom job where i have to splice wires make a seperate switch etc

Thanks Tom
Auto wrecker, buy everything from a fleetside truck and then figure out where to cut in the new filler neck.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what i figured but basic a styleside and fit it for the flare side but as far as wirring goes does my truck already have it or no
Old 12-03-2009, 01:13 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 87Ford
thats what i figured but basic a styleside and fit it for the flare side but as far as wirring goes does my truck already have it or no
I doubt there's wiring right to where the tank switch would be, but it probably has a spot somewhere in the harness to plug into. Start at the fuse block and look for a fuse for the selonoid, then go from there. There's probably an unused connection somewhere. Or go from the auto wrecker truck forward toward the fuse block and see where the wiring ties in and go from there.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:57 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

If you're going to the junkyard for the lines and switches then get the wiring too. Your chances are 50/50 that the wiring is already there, the factory usually makes one harness for all trucks to keep costs down and stuff the truck doesn't get is left unplugged or jumpers are used. Then there's the possibility that there is a section of harness that you will need but the place to plug it in will be on your truck. Flareside and styleside tanks are different so you will have to modify the tank if it's not from a flareside. Then you will have to decide which two tank setup you want to use, '87-'89 or '90-'96.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: single to dual tanks!!!!