Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Shifter won't engage any gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Novice mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shifter won't engage any gear

My clutch went out when i noticed the peddle droped to the floor. I know nothing about clutches or tranny's. Im just a novice when it comes to motors i can understand most problems with common sence, but this ones got me. I had a friend come over to put in new clutch and when he was finished i went out to start truck up and it fires right up. Then i push clutch in and find out it does'nt go into any gears no reverse nor 1st, 2nd and so on. It does'nt grind or even feels as if the slots are even there. My so called friend has left me high n dry wont return my calles and i never paid him since job was'nt done yet and the dude left his tools behind to havent seen or heard from him in a month. So my prob seems to be fix it myself but i dont know where to start. Could it just be the shifter is not in right and how to go about fixing that or did this joker something up i need to check into?

Im unemployed at the moment and raising two kids by myself so a shop is out of the question. Any good input where to start would be greatly appr. Laymen terms also im lost with tranny's but im good enough to understand what the parts are, most of em.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Does the shifter move into the gear positions but there is no gear feel? Or does the shifter not move into the gear positions? Meaning does the shifter move where each gear would be but there is no resistance from sliding into gear? If the pedal dropped to the floor then just changing the clutch wouldn't have fixed it, the clutch system would have to been bled. It would have had to be bled after the clutch replacement too so your buddy may have done that. The shifter had to be removed to pull the tranny and it is possible it wasn't reinstalled correctly. We will also need to know what year truck and what transmission.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:16 AM

sounds like he didn't even put the clutch it to me .. my clutch is curently ou tof my new 4x4 and you can take the shifter and put it any gear or out of any gear with no clutch but it doesn't do anything ... do you have anymore friends that no something about cars lol i would get one of the and get them to HELP YOU not do it for you.

first of all check your clutch reserve make sure theres fluid in it if not he didn't bleed the lines and now there is air in the clutch so you will have nothing to push the clutch in with. check that first you will need soem one to help with that some one to pump the petal while you bleed the bleed screw on the drivers side. 3 pumps and hold while you unscrew the bleed screw tighten it back up and 3 pumps and hold and you open the bleed screw and tighten and so on till there is no more air left coming out just a straight squirt of fluid. MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE CLUTCH FLUID LEVEL!! if not you will run the reserve dry and you willl have to start alover again. FUNN!!

if the clutch fluid is good and there is no air in the line than..

you are going to have to drop your drive shaft just go to the rear endwith a 12point 12mm socket and un-bolt the 4 bolts DO NOT LOSE THOSE!!! you need them ALOT!!

now take a pan of some sort and put it under the tail of the tranny and pull the drive shaft out of it and put it in the back of your truck so you don't bend it out lose it or what ever.

let the tranny fluid drain out of the tranny.

k now your going to have to take your shifter handle off no sure if you have to but just to be safe. its just on nut you just slacken it off a bit than it should pop off.

now your tranny should be done draining the oil remove the pan so you don't stick your head or foot or hand in it thats just annoying.

you can take off your inspection plate i think itys 4 bolts could be wrong but remove that

you now have 6 or 7 (i think it is) housing bolts to remove thay conected your tanny and motor together and 2 or three of them hold your starter on which also has to be removed.

now take a jack and put it under the bell housing to keep it from going anywhere

now to unbolt your tranny mount just unbolt your tranny mount and you should be able to slide it back

there may be a wire or so you have to disconect i can't quite remember

PLEASE WATCH YOUR HEAD!! make sure the jack comes with the tranny if not it will fall and more than likely hit you

now you can see your clutch if its all ripped up or none exsisting you need a new one and better find out what your buddy did wit the new one take all the old clutch stuff off and place the new kit on( thinking that you got a clutchkit)

make sure you use your alignment tool to line everything up or it will not go back together (easlily borrow that tool from some one if you don't have one)

now that the new clutch is all ready and aligned push the rod from the tranny into the hole you just aligned you may have to wiggle th tranny back and fourth maybe evern turn the engine over by hand to get it to slide in but when it does you will know cause it will slide in perfect. and tight.

then bolt your housing bolds back up(with your starter) then your inspection sheild then put your drive shaft back in and bolt it up put your shifter back on and tighten it up then top your tranny fluid up and then you get to beeld the lines just in case you lost any fluid or there is air in the lines this could take from 10 mins to 2 hours depends on how much your truck loves you lol

have fun and good luck
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 AM
We'd do it

Or, if it's the 5 speed you can pull out the rubber inspection plug and see if the pressure plate is new.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 AM

hey ya i feel extremely dumb now cause i couldn't remember if there was a way to see the the preasure plate
Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 AM
We'd do it

I don't think the 4 speed has an inspection hole, and your information gives him a good explanation of what needs to be done should he need to do it. But to save trouble I figured I would let it be known about the plug.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if it will shift into gears with the engine off, this might be a little difficult without pressing the clutch though it should shift into at least one. I agree with Sean that the clutch has not been bled and is not disengaging. This will spin the input shaft and not allow the gears to engage while the engine is running.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riggs
What year is your truck?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Novice mechanic

Wow thx for all the input. I just rolled up my sleeves spent around 2 hrs looking, thinking, talking to myself and decided to pull the shifter back out of the top of the tranny to take a look inside. Not shur why but i stuck a screw driver in the hole just to see how the shifter fit in there and noticed two bearing type things that when i pushed on em they would reciede a little. They were also not side by side they were offset. I took a gamble and pulled the furthest one to the center and it popped right over. I put shifter back in and walla it shifts clean into all gears Hmmm.

Now the funny part lol. It was going into gear even with the clutch not pushed in and running. No grinding nothing just air. I really thought i messed it up now. I called my bro who works with a race car driver and he asked me if the 4 wheel shifter was in Neutral and i said ya why. He had me put it in 2L and duh its good to go.

Im going to give my truck a well diserved oil change, lube everything and a tune up tomorrow this i can do lol. Thx again for all your fast responces.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 PM

lol hey bud right on glad you got your truck going

Quick Reply: Shifter won't engage any gear