Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Shaved door handles

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Shaved door handles

I like the idea of shaved door handles. But I don't know much about them. What would it take to do that. Any perfected kits I'm not worried about doin the body work. I'm just curious about what it takes and if it's worth the effort. How they work, how you open the door with a shaved handle. Any info on this subject is appreciated.

C.R.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude, no. LOL. I have never personally done any, but I do have a little bit of basic knowledge on them. First off, you have to get the poppers so it can pop the door open, and the shaved door handle kit, which has a little motor that pulls the latch open, while the popper pops. And i believe you have to permanently delete any way of ever locking your doors agian, all the wiring, dibs, and a safety switch that you hide somewhere on the outside of the truck. And of course, the bodywork. It's not an hour job, Probly a weekender. Look at the s10 forums at http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f199/h...andles-118835/ should give a rough idea as to what you gotta do
Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cody5127
Dude, no.
Haha. I just saw someone with shaved handles and it made me think about it I've never seen a 87-96 ford with shaved handles. Also so what if you can't lock them. I don't lock them anyways.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

You can lock them. You either use a keyed power switch located wherever you like or you wire it to a remote system or alarm system. Here's the major problem. If your battery dies you can't get in. And depending on how you hook up inside you can't get out either. The door latch is replaced with an electronic deadbolt. When energized the bolt retracts and the popper pushed the door open. So no power no open door. That's why this system is usually used on topless cars, show cars or cars with no hood security latch. ( meaning you can open the hood from outside the car ).
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

You can get kits that use a power lock type solenoid, and hooks to the stock latch, on the same linkage that the stock outside handle did, or rob some lock solenoids from the junk yard, that way your inside handle still works, if you have a remote starter, you can run one solenoid on the trunk channel to open the drivers door.
Two ways around the dead battery, one is string a pull cable thru the door, thru the fender and under the hood or where ever it can be hidden but still reached, or add remote booster lugs for the battery, if its dead you need a boost anyway.
The hidden cable was the hot set up before the solenoid trick was figured out, dad said in the fifties he used model A ford starter drive soleniods and door bell buttons.

Quick Reply: Shaved door handles