Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

shaft that drives the oil pump broke

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Hard Core

Location: my moms basement not! its my old attic bedroom above the garage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaft that drives the oil pump broke

my truck f150 302 1993 high miles has had an issue for months erratic running in gen. Now it acts like timing is off, advanced i think. everything is ok after i restart.Just last night my oil pressure dropped to nothing the truck ran but clattered and had little power, in the morning i check oil and started it up it ran fine for 40 minutes then repeated the zero oil pressure thing.i I think the dist. gear or the shaft to the pump is failing how can i check it short of tear down or what else could it be?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pull dist to see if shaft is spinning, or a good chance oil pump failing.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

This one? I would say the pickup tube screen is getting clogged or the oil pump is going bad. Either way, you're dropping the pan.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I say bad pump.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Hard Core

Location: my moms basement not! its my old attic bedroom above the garage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok is there any chance the oil gets pumped up and doesent flow back thru the passages i had oil come out the fill tube. i ask because i have good pressure untill i reve up otr drive fast,the oil in fill tube and pvc,if i shut down wait a few miutes pressure is ok then, valve covers recently off maybe olg gasket or scrapings blocking returns? just curious also what could make the pump just stop and theh start again. it stopping is related to engine rpms or how hard the engine is worked it also started within a day of using mobile 1 full syn. oil which i am draining today putting a gallon of diesel in running it for a bit to flush it out putting in heavy oil,trying it out if it fails i gonna smash the f k out of it with a sledge hammer, push it out back take remaining fuel, the mobile 1 i wasted and set it on fire and enjoy the moment then to the to local scrap yard for a decent burial which any old ford deserves

Quick Reply: shaft that drives the oil pump broke