Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Rough idle but not during driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle but not during driving

I just replaced my motor after a rebuild in my 1995 F150 with the 4.9l in-line 6. All the vacuum lines are good and replaced anyways. The trucks fires up fine and the rpm at idle is solid but the engine seems to shake. The motor mounts are solid too. When I give the truck gas and the rpms go up the shake goes away and it’s no longer there. The truck also is a snail up hills and any wind will make the truck drive extremely slow. Any input is well appreciated thank you.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Put all its details into your signature:

(phone app link)

What is the fuel pressure when it's rough?

(phone app link)

What's the compression?

(phone app link)

What's the plug gap? What's the base timing? Were the timing gears replaced? Are you sure they're timed correctly? How many degrees slop do they have? Was the distributor replaced? Was anything modified/deleted during the rebuild?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve83
Put all its details into your signature:

(phone app link)

What is the fuel pressure when it's rough?

(phone app link)

What's the compression?

(phone app link)

What's the plug gap? What's the base timing? Were the timing gears replaced? Are you sure they're timed correctly? How many degrees slop do they have? Was the distributor replaced? Was anything modified/deleted during the rebuild?
I am not sure if the plug gap but they were swapped right over with the engine and the base timing is at 10 degrees. The gears were not replaced but they were in very decent shape and I took them off and cleaned all of that up. I purchased a timing light and set the timing and I know it’s at the 10 degree mark. The distributor was not replaced but was cleaned up. All new plug wires too.

Quick Reply: Rough idle but not during driving