Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Replacing water pump - question on radiator dings

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Replacing water pump - question on radiator dings

While replacing my water pump (very wobbly bearings in the shaft), fan clutch, and thermostat today - I noticed some damage to my radiator. I have no clue if this is damage from when I installed the radiator 3-4 years ago - or if it is new from while i was removing the pump / clutch, etc.

I don't know the inner workings of the tubes - does anyone here have a trained enough eye to tell me (a) Yes, Rex, you need to go ahead and replace the radiator while you have everything removed and it's an easy swap... or (b) Looks good - run with it and see if it leaks, then worry about it.... (which is a PITA because things need to come BACK off to replace it)

If I need to spend the cash on a radiator (which I really don't want to have to do) - I will,... And as mentioned - would rather replace whie everything is out of the way, anyway... what say the gallery?

Old 03-03-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

I wouldn't worry about replacing the radiator now. If it would come to replacing it, all you should need to do is unbolt the shroud and push it back onto the fan, unbolt the automatic transmission cooler lines(if you have an automatic transmission), disconnect the radiator hoses and unbolt the radiator. Drain the radiator first obviously.

If is should leak you could just pinch off that tube, but I'm not sure how to do that effectively. Or you could just add a container of Bars Leaks, but I won't suggest that because no one one these forums likes stop leak.
The following users liked this post:
Rex Smith (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 PM

I decided on further inspection - to go ahead and replace it while I have everything apart. Just simpler that way - and I won't have to worry about it springing a leak this summer.

I had an online coupon from Advance Auto for 25% off - so used that and got the replacement radiator for under $100 (including tax!).
Old 03-03-2018, 03:06 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

If you have an automatic transmission, be careful loosening those cooler lines from the radiator. The best thing to use is flare nut wrenches(also called line wreches) so you don't round the corners on those fittings.
Rex Smith (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Replacement was a good call - that was my thought when I saw the picture.
It might not have leaked;, but it might have - and even if it didn't you would worry about it.
If it did overheat in a few weeks, and you lost all your coolant (not cheap) and had to get a tow truck so you don't damage your motor...$$$
$100 - potential problem avoided.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I hope you kept the dinged radiator - "new" is no guarantee of quality or durability, especially for discount parts. You may find yourself wanting to put that original radiator back in. Dings are not failures - radiators get rock pecks all the time - they're designed to tolerate them (to a certain degree, of course). Until there's a leak, a simple dent is no reason to change out a working radiator.
Rex Smith (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 03:41 AM

When I installed this radiator - the line fittings that came with the radiator didn't fit the threads on the flared lines - so I had to snag the originals from the OLD original radiator several years back. When I installed them a few years back, I used a wrap or two of teflon tape - so hopefully I won't have any problems removing them again and reinstalling to the new radiator.

Originally Posted by 88xlt
If you have an automatic transmission, be careful loosening those cooler lines from the radiator. The best thing to use is flare nut wrenches(also called line wreches) so you don't round the corners on those fittings.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

in the future or if you do this again, just place a piece of cardboard up against the radiator and it will absorb a lot of the dings and such.
Rex Smith (03-09-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Plywood works even better.
Rex Smith (03-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Replacing water pump - question on radiator dings