Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Replacing tired 302 for a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing tired 302 for a daily driver

My truck is a 95 f150 flareside 4x4 with 302 motor and 4r70w auto tranny. Truck has 190k miles and feels tired. Leaks oil and rattles during acceleration.

What are my best options for swapping out the motor? I don't have the equipment/time/confidence to swap it myself, so I will be paying someone. I would like some improved performance, but I also want this to be affordable and it is my daily driver. Should I get a low mile 302 from a suit l donor vehicle (I've heard explorers are best?) Or should I consider a crate motor?

What should I expect to pay someone for this?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Just remember you get what you pay for especially with advice. I'd go with a crate motor because you know what your getting and investing the labor money in. That assumes that you want to keep the vehicle long enough and the rest of the vehicle is good enough to justify the cost.

Other questions are what exactly is wrong with the current motor besides feeling tired? Oil consumption? Low compression, very high compression numbers. Maybe having the heads gone through, the old clean carbon and grind valves with a new timing gear and chain set?

Might pay to have some idea of what is ailing the old beast.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

95 and 96 have the HO cam, which is a different firing order (and injector pulse order) than the regular 302. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Here's a thread I put together awhile back that you might be able to gather some information from. Honestly, if you go with a crate engine, it needs to be purpose built for a truck. Not a Mustang. I can't stress it enough.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/bit-in...l-302s-276512/
Old 04-29-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Check out what this Guy did. The 1st Vid shows them replacing the Engine, and the 2nd one has him talking about what all they did. If I was going to replace my Engine this is the way I'd go.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Crate motor for the win! As posted above MAKE SURE it is cammed for a truck. A 302 HO Mustang engine will be a slow, chugging pig in a 2 ton vehicle! Don't forget the transmission...A new, robust engine will probably make short work of your tired old transmission...ask me how I know this! LOL. I would look up a suitable severe-duty trans rebuild kit and have it rebuilt by a knowledgeable shop. Bypass the radiator cooling and just add the biggest trans cooler you can fit behind the grill and roll with it. This will ensure that you get to drive your truck another 10-20 years if you do it right from the start. I would not recommend an unknown JY engine or trans due to the sheer amount of work required for the swap. I have only purchased engines that way when I intended to do a full rebuild.

Quick Reply: Replacing tired 302 for a daily driver