Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Replacing my stock coil springs with Moog CC844 F250 coils.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Ford rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my stock coil springs with Moog CC844 F250 coils.

This morning I replaced the stock front coil springs on my F150 with Moog CC844 F250 coil springs in order to level it and make it handle less like a boat. The stock shocks will work but should be replaced sometime down the line because they will be extended more than intended.
I tried to take pictures while I replaced them but I tend to forget what I am doing and just get it done. Here are some I did take. I bought these springs off ebay for a little over 75 bucks.

With the truck frame up on jacks stands I jacked up the front wheel to compress the spring and removed the wheel.

I then removed the lower shock bolt (mine required a 9/16" socket and wrench) and let the jack down to take all the pressure off the spring.

There is still a little pressure on the spring. I removed the smaller bolt (1/2" socket) holding the tab on the top of the spring. It is a little hard to see the bolt in the picture.

With the tab removed I was able to stomp on the hub and pop the spring out of the upper cup. I then dropped a 1 1/8" deep socket down onto the lower nut holding the bottom of the spring. I could then slip my breaker bar in though the side of the spring and loosen the nut. One side came comparatively easily, and the other required some persuading with a 4 ft cheater bar, WD40 and heat. Once the nut is removed the spring lifts (or falls) out.

Side by side comparison of the old and new springs. The old one has wider spaced coiling and smaller diameter coil wire.

I got into it too much at this point and forgot to take any more pictures. The only things with reassembly is, one, the breaker bar won't fit between the coils on the new one so required some extensions to place and tighten the lower nut, and two, the other end of the tab fits into a slot on the inside of the upper spring cup in order to hold the spring firmly in place.

I tightened everything down and and removed the jacks. The truck definitely needs an alignment now and is raised up in the front about 1.5 to 2 inches. It also handles better and doesn't corner like a boat. It is slightly stiffer but the springs will break in slightly. Here are some before and after shots.

Before

After

Hope this helps someone who is looking into doing this.

Last edited by Livenlearn; 02-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 PM

Looks good man!

One of the best and easiest mod's out there for our trucks!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

been waiting for this write up for a while, i cant take pictures once i get started on something lol. nice job
Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a spring compresser in my shop class mounted to the wall I just have to get around to buying springs.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

You won't even need a spring compressor!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
You won't even need a spring compressor!
Yeah I know and I know there's different ways of going about it. And there we have our boat in a storage place and they have a 93 f250 that's shot and he wants 50 dollars for both springs. I just have to get around to tearing them down.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 AM

Thankyou, I have the exact same springs sitting behind me as we speak. But was foolish and thought when i ordered my new shocks there would have been two. But i was wrong, and when i tried to have advance order them, the kid behind the counter told me "No, you should really just order these off jegs." or "you can just reorder it off of our site." And "well you can just drive to one of our other stores who have them in stock." So ill go back today and deal with someone else
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

So you dont need a spring compressor?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jonah52
No you don't it just makes it faster and Easyer but O'Rileys and auto zone has the loan a tool thing or you can spend 40 Dollars on one.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jonah52
if you've got an extra guy helping ya, you can just disconnect the shock and pull the control arm down far enough to just slide out the spring and put the new one in. i didnt use a spring commpressor when i did mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing my stock coil springs with Moog CC844 F250 coils.