Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

replaced torque converter and truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced torque converter and truck won't start

I have a 95 f150 5.0 4x4 188k

my torque converter took a **** on me, so we had to replace it.. dropped the Trans, pulled the old one out, put the new one in got everything put back together, filled the truck with fluid, went to crank the key and it won't fire up..

any thoughts on trouble shooting?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm assuming you're saying the engine spins over fine, just won't start? If so, same as always first determine if you lost spark or fuel delivery. Spark is usually easier to check first.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by 88xlt
I'm assuming you're saying the engine spins over fine, just won't start? If so, same as always first determine if you lost spark or fuel delivery. Spark is usually easier to check first.
Yes that's what I meant, all accessories come on it just won't turn over, my buddy took a look and said he didn't think the flywheel is moving...
Old 06-21-2016, 01:45 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Okay we need to get on the same page here. When you turn the key to start do you hear a whirring noise as though something is turning? If you hear a whirring noise are the accessories driven by the serpentine belt at the front of the engine turning?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 88xlt
Okay we need to get on the same page here. When you turn the key to start do you hear a whirring noise as though something is turning? If you hear a whirring noise are the accessories driven by the serpentine belt at the front of the engine turning?
there is a whirring noise but I have no clue about the belt to be honest, this is my first truck and I've never assisted in a project like this before
Old 06-21-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

is the starter working? "turning over" means the engine is rotating, but doesnt need to run to "turn over"...

so when is the starter turning the engine over?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by justintendo
is the starter working? "turning over" means the engine is rotating, but doesnt need to run to "turn over"...

so when is the starter turning the engine over?

Yes it is.. I checked voltage because it sounded like an extremely low battery and my battery Guage on the truck works when it wants... turns out, my battery was too low to crank the truck over.. charged it and no issues now.. I feel so dumb lol idk why I didn't think of that first
Old 06-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Glad you got it going..how's it run with the new TC ?
Old 06-22-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddinmama93
Yes it is.. I checked voltage because it sounded like an extremely low battery and my battery Guage on the truck works when it wants... turns out, my battery was too low to crank the truck over.. charged it and no issues now.. I feel so dumb lol idk why I didn't think of that first
Came in to say "Do you have the truck plugged in". lol We all have those moments, don't feel bad.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Glad you got it going..how's it run with the new TC ?
Its running much quieter, smoother my only complaint is that you still have to manually shift it into second gear, but it shifts itself into third (when it shifts into third I put it back in drive) the truck also never went over 40mph before, so since the new TC it's been to 65mph and I'm pretty excited about that haha

Quick Reply: replaced torque converter and truck won't start