Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Replace or repair this door and rocker panel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace or repair this door and rocker panel.

Take a look and let me know what you think. The truck was dropped off the jack or something before I bought it.

The rocker panel also has a little rust under the plastic threshold in the cab.

Drivers Side

Drivers Side

Drivers Side
Old 12-20-2014, 10:07 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Depends on the condition of the rest of the truck. If it's a mint cream puff you may not want any body filler in it. And the rocker panel is a bad place for it (bodyfill).
Really hard to get that rocker back to perfectly straight, but it can be done.
Can't really see how bad that door is up that close, if it's just a small dent it can be banged out and filled, but if the door is bent badly a replacement might be a better idea.
If I see rust anywhere on the door sill I usually assume it's coming from the driver's floor - might want to pull the carpet back and have a look. Driver's floor usually rusts from the inside out. Wet, muddy or snowy boots get the floor matting wet and it stays that way. That moisture eventually starts working on the floor, so it's a good idea to at least have a look before you decide how involved to get on your repairs.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

This one's not bad - surface rust on the floor, the sill's got a couple bad spots and the lip that holds the weatherstrip is gone

This one's a bit better - just a little, but you can see that the rust at the door sill often indicates that the floor mat has been wet - the water seems to migrate into the channel made by the w/strip lip. I usually look for rust right at that front seam of the sill
Here's pics of a couple trucks to give you an idea what could be hiding under the floor mat

Quick Reply: Replace or repair this door and rocker panel.