Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Repairing Radius Arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Repairing Radius Arms

My radius arms are in pretty good shape besides the studs where the bushings go. They are heavily rusted and pretty thin. Going to try to replace them studs instead of replacing the arms for over $200.

Used a plasma cutter and a grinder to cut the welds on the studs. The studs will then slide out with persuasion from an air hammer.

Luckily I had some bolts at my work that are just the right size for this. I cut the heads off the bolts and they are ready to go. I will have a guy at my work weld them in since I don't trust my welding skills that much.

The only thing that will be different is there will be no step on the stud for the nut to tighten down on. I figure I should be fine tightening it down enough to put some pressure on the bushings and tack weld the nut into place so it won't back off. I do have to enlarge the hole in the washers since it was meant for a little bit smaller stud.

Should be as good, if not better than new. With the tools I have, I won't have more than an hour into both arms. Just posting this to possibly help someone else out who has the same problem. You don't need a plasma cutter to get old ones out. You can get away with just a grinder to cut the welds. Definitely saved me a bunch of money.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Mrs. W

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

post pics when you're done

Quick Reply: Repairing Radius Arms