Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Removed the shift lever while in reverse, now it's stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed the shift lever while in reverse, now it's stuck.

Oh jeese I feel so dumb. It just never occurred to me... I was installing a shifter repair kit on my 1993 F150 with the M50D manual tranny, and ended up getting it stuck in reverse!!! Here's what I did: I shifted into reverse, then I pulled out the pinchbolt holding the shifter lever in place. Then I pulled the shift ball thing up and out of the top of the transmission, while it was still in reverse. Now the whole thing goes back together, and I can move the shift lever around some, but it won't go into any gears!!! If I start the engine and let the clutch out a little bit, the truck starts backing up. It's stuck in reverse. Has anyone had this problem or heard of the solution before?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Take the stick back out and put it in neutral. That's why the instructions say to put it in neutral.
The following users liked this post:
Mista_Breeze (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Take the stick back out and put it in neutral. That's why the instructions say to put it in neutral.
There weren't any instructions, smart ***. And I didn't know how to put the tranny in neutral without the shifter base/ball thing removed; that's the whole problem.

I did some searching through this forum and found a guy with a similar problem and got it figured out though, which is good. I had no idea you can line up the "rails" with eachother by using a screwdriver and poking it down into the top of the transmission and lining up the openings in there.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockworthy
There weren't any instructions, smart ***. And I didn't know how to put the tranny in neutral without the shifter base/ball thing removed; that's the whole problem.

I did some searching through this forum and found a guy with a similar problem and got it figured out though, which is good. I had no idea you can line up the "rails" with eachother by using a screwdriver and poking it down into the top of the transmission and lining up the openings in there.
Sean wasnt being a smart a** take the shifter out get a flashlite and a screwdriver look in you will see the shift rails use the screwdriver to slide the revers rail to the neutral position the notches on all of the rails will be lined up and then reinstal the shifter
Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

You got the rev shift rail stuck, meaning you have the rail pushed in the position as if it were engaged. You will have to pull it apart again and re-alight the ball and pin with the shift rails.

Last edited by sylver91; 08-31-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

That's what I get for trying to help. Next time try reading some instructions when you don't know what you're doing. Haynes has instructions.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey Sean but aint it better to be a smart azz than a dumb azz
Old 12-28-2023, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rockworthy
Oh jeese I feel so dumb. It just never occurred to me... I was installing a shifter repair kit on my 1993 F150 with the M50D manual tranny, and ended up getting it stuck in reverse!!! Here's what I did: I shifted into reverse, then I pulled out the pinchbolt holding the shifter lever in place. Then I pulled the shift ball thing up and out of the top of the transmission, while it was still in reverse. Now the whole thing goes back together, and I can move the shift lever around some, but it won't go into any gears!!! If I start the engine and let the clutch out a little bit, the truck starts backing up. It's stuck in reverse. Has anyone had this problem or heard of the solution before?
Hey how did you fix the problem? I was going through the post and can't seem to fix the problem.
Old 12-28-2023, 12:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Eleven year old thread, I'd start a new one.

Quick Reply: Removed the shift lever while in reverse, now it's stuck.