Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.
View Poll Results: Do you inflate tires to the max rating on the sidewall?
Yes
34.88%
No
65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Recommended VS maximum tire pressure, discuss.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommended VS maximum tire pressure, discuss.

Originally Posted by bluecar5556
  • Recommended tire pressure (typically written on the driver door jamb placard or manu. recommendation)
  • Maximum tire pressure (Written as "__PSI cold Max" on the sidewall of tire

There is a difference, or so I thought. On stock tires, the driver door jamb placard states the recommended tire pressure and the tires are generally not inflated according to the maximum tire pressure rating written on the sidewall of the tire for a reason, correct?

Keeping that in mind, can someone explain to me why some people inflate aftermarket tires to the maximum tire pressure written on the sidewall, contrary to stock tires?

I'm aware the recommended tire inflation is vehicle specific based on the GVWR of the vehicle and other factors but regardless, stock tires are not inflated anywhere close to the maximum tire pressure rating from the manufacturer. What gives?

Discuss:

Optional info:
Wheel/tire size, ex. "P215/75R15"

Last edited by bluecar5556; 10-06-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:48 PM

this is going to be a kind of shot in the dark.

i think its going to be personal preference really. according to what your going to be doing with your truck, i.e towing or mudding kind of thing.

the reason i think they are inflated to the max pressure, and again this is only my opinion, is that from most stock tires, to aftermarket tires there is a psi difference. this could be only because i've only ever gone from stock to bigger size, never stock to stock.

it could also be because different tires have different wear characteristics too. i've run BFG all terrains and had really bad wear weather they were fully inflated or not. where as when i ran yokohama m/t's i ran them about 5lbs under max to make sure i was getting the full foot print so to speak and had excellent wear.

i hope this helps or atleast sparks some more replies!!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

x2 i go off what the tire says, if i dont put it at the max its at least within 10 PSI. so far iv had no weird wear or blow outs, tires are still.

this will be an interesting poll.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I go to the max. That's the one definite number I find on the tire, it's supposed to give you better gas mileage, and the pressure is only going down from there unless I put more in.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Max, Sean is right about mileage. Max pressure is better on fuel consumption. If your running under pressured tires on the roads, all your doing is causing excess tire wear. My max is 52 I believe. And they leak slowly, but I only put 38 miles a week on it...
Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by f150cam
x2 i go off what the tire says, if i dont put it at the max its at least within 10 PSI. so far iv had no weird wear or blow outs, tires are still.

this will be an interesting poll.

i agree. this will be very interesting to see what everyone says and why. i think my current tires are low, but with how weather cracked they are, i'd rather have a little lower mpg, than a blow out on the highway hahaha a blowout on 33's= bad day.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990-5.0-4x4
i agree. this will be very interesting to see what everyone says and why. i think my current tires are low, but with how weather cracked they are, i'd rather have a little lower mpg, than a blow out on the highway hahaha a blowout on 33's= bad day.
a blow out at any speed with any tire would be a bad day lol.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
I go to the max. That's the one definite number I find on the tire, it's supposed to give you better gas mileage, and the pressure is only going down from there unless I put more in.
Actually pressure will rise on a warmer day and as the tire heats in use. Most sidewall pressures are listed as "cold".

Max pressure is used to gain full load rating of the tire.

Originally Posted by MonsterinWI
Max, Sean is right about mileage. Max pressure is better on fuel consumption. If your running under pressured tires on the roads, all your doing is causing excess tire wear. My max is 52 I believe. And they leak slowly, but I only put 38 miles a week on it...
Running max pressure will usually accelerate wear in the center tread section.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Old Bastard

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google is our friend and we can use it to ask the experts and separate the chaff from the wheat.

Until I read this, I disagreed with it......Still learning something new everyday.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=8
Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 AM

thats a pretty interesting article. but does it take into account larger size tires? im not asking to be a jerk, i honestly dont know.

Quick Reply: Recommended VS maximum tire pressure, discuss.