Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Rear Fuel Tank Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Fuel Tank Leaking

I took my 1996 F150 in for Pa. state inspection to my local Ford dealer. They said my rear gas tank is leaking and it is dripping gas onto the spare tire. I was unaware of the leak (it must be tiny) as I see no drips on the asphalt or rear gas level running low. In any event, I failed inspection until it is fixed. Truck has had a history of chronic undercarriage rust related issues due to my living next to a river.

Question is how to fix. I have heard they can solder leaking fuel tanks. I am sorry I didn't see the tank while it was still up on the lift. The dealer attempted to locate a new rear gas tank, but could only come up with an overpriced aftermarket replacement for over $200. I had looked myself and was seeing them for around $100.

Spoke with the mechanic at the dealership who said he had a 1994 F150 with same problem. He cautioned not to try buying the plastic replacement tank from JC Whitney as he had done because it leaked badly and he ended up getting a steel one after all and sending the plastic one back.

We left it that I would order the replacement tank myself and return with the parts for them to install. Two years ago we did this same thing with me ordering stainless steel brakelines and having them put them on and it worked out fine.

I asked mechanic what other parts I would need for a clean job and whether it would be worth also replacing the side tank while we were at it. The mechanic said get the tanks, tank straps, and hoses. The tanks and straps are no problem to find, I am currently favoring Spectra Premium brand for that (any good?) How much of the hoses would I need to order for him? It seems like the buzzword is "tank to pump"? Also, aren't there two sets of hoses, an intake set and a vapor set? It seemed to me that he said the ones I had were rubber. I am not sure how to order the hoses for him.

Or should I try to take it somewhere for a soldering fix to the tank I have?

Any help or opinions appreciated. =Dan
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i just put the spectra tank in mine. i bought the one that came with straps, and with pump and sender unit installed. i got mine from rockauto.com i think it was 211 shipped. worked out great. though you have to wire in a new plug and the instructions that spectra gives has the pump power and ground reversed. i didnt change the line but there should be 3 the main the return and the vent line. on mine it looked like someone already did except for the vent line. i would suggest looking at lmc or npd for the lines.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

I would figure out where the leak is coming from before buying stuff. You may not need the lines. Could be something as simple as a fitting not seated... Especially since someone has been there before, the connections are buried and hard to get to. Drop the tank and check or out.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is now long after the fact, but I realized I never posted the results from this. I ended up ordering both a front and rear new Spectra gas tanks from Amazon along with the straps sets ($200) and had Ford install them ($600). Luckily, the old senders and fuel lines still worked and that was all that was required.

The leaking rear fuel tank had been slowly dripping gas onto the spare tire and basically melted it, so add in that I had to buy a new spare tire ($120) as well. I repainted the steel wheel myself which was heavily rusted.

It has been two years since and no further problems with the fuel tanks.

Quick Reply: Rear Fuel Tank Leaking