Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Rattling Noise

Old 10-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rattling Noise

Hey today just starting hearing a rattling noise during acceleration. It would only make the noise while accelerating and then quit when I let off the gas. I can hear it coming from the floor in the cab of the pickup. I just replaced the catalytic converter in my wife's 2006 ford focus, so I might be a little gun shy about this being the noise.

I need to get under it and do some banging around and see if the cat is broken up on the inside, but I noticed something. Did they put 2 cats on the 1995 F150's with a 5.8L. It looks like it has two anyway, two pipes come out of the engine and come together in what looks like the first cat then the pipe continues for about a foot and a half and goes into what looks like another cat.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by smilin_todd
Hey today just starting hearing a rattling noise during acceleration. It would only make the noise while accelerating and then quit when I let off the gas. I can hear it coming from the floor in the cab of the pickup. I just replaced the catalytic converter in my wife's 2006 ford focus, so I might be a little gun shy about this being the noise.

I need to get under it and do some banging around and see if the cat is broken up on the inside, but I noticed something. Did they put 2 cats on the 1995 F150's with a 5.8L. It looks like it has two anyway, two pipes come out of the engine and come together in what looks like the first cat then the pipe continues for about a foot and a half and goes into what looks like another cat.

What do you guys think?
Its not just the 95. I'm fairly sure it is a ruble cat system. But I've also heard the second one is a resonator. But when I looked up exhaust stuff for my truck (92/302) there were cat converters labeled "front" (which all pretty much looked like the stock one) and "rear".
Old 10-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

my 96 has what looks like 2 cants too. i would check for lose bolts too while your down there. when i first bought my truck it would make a rattling sound because the bolt for the heat shield on the cat was broken and rattling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattling Noise