Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Rattle underneath! Tranny? U-Joint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle underneath! Tranny? U-Joint?

Howdy,

I have a 1988 F-150 5.0 with Borg 4-speed. There is a heavy rattling noise in the area of the transmission under loads (starting off from a stop and after the shift to 3rd, and a little right after shifting into 4th until I build up speed). I looked underneath and the front shaft going to the the front axle u joint is definitely loose, but I'm hearing the noise in 2 wheel mode. I did some jiggling of both front and rear shafts before nd the sound went away for a day or so and came back. Other powertrain problems include both cracked exhaust manifolds, needs shocks all around, 3rd gear whines, Reverse whines. I take the truck to work every 3 days and once i get it on the highway, it runs smooth as silk unless i hit a bump (but that goes back to needing shocks). In the high end of all gears the noise goes away, its worse under that initial load of starting out or after gear changes. Thanks for any help anybody can give.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by znt101
Howdy,

I have a 1988 F-150 5.0 with Borg 4-speed. There is a heavy rattling noise in the area of the transmission under loads (starting off from a stop and after the shift to 3rd, and a little right after shifting into 4th until I build up speed). I looked underneath and the front shaft going to the the front axle u joint is definitely loose, but I'm hearing the noise in 2 wheel mode. I did some jiggling of both front and rear shafts before nd the sound went away for a day or so and came back. Other powertrain problems include both cracked exhaust manifolds, needs shocks all around, 3rd gear whines, Reverse whines. I take the truck to work every 3 days and once i get it on the highway, it runs smooth as silk unless i hit a bump (but that goes back to needing shocks). In the high end of all gears the noise goes away, its worse under that initial load of starting out or after gear changes. Thanks for any help anybody can give.
It could be the front shaft, if the hubs aren t unlocked, if you have manual hubs, they could be in the unlocked position, and still be locked, allowing the axle to drive the drive shaft, while you are driving the truck, get what im driving at you.

I would suggest, putting the truck in gear with the engine off, and four wheel drive engaged, and push the truck back and forth and listen, i used this technique to find a small frame crack that caused a snapping noise each time i shifted gears. It helps to have a sturdy friend to rock the truck , so you can zero in on the noise.

Quick Reply: Rattle underneath! Tranny? U-Joint?