Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ran Good Now Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 04:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ran Good Now Wont Start

I had my project F150 out for a spin the other day and it ran good. It sat for a few days now wont start. If I spray a little carb cleaner in the TB it turns over so fuel is the issue I believe. I thought I was out of gas so I put in a couple gallons. Still no start. I can hear the fuel pump kick on but I am not sure if both pumps are. Is there a drawing around of where the fuel line hooks up? I lose it under the intake.Any other suggestions? Thanks. Jim
Old 05-05-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

We can't possibly help you without knowing what you're talking about. Fill in your signature:

(phone app link)
Old 05-06-2018, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
We can't possibly help you without knowing what you're talking about. Fill in your signature:

(phone app link)
Sorry about that. I will go out and get all that info. It is a stock 302 with LT headers and I gutted the air pump. Thanks. Jim
Old 05-06-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

The fuel line hook-ups are near the back of the intake manifold - follow the fuel rails and you will find them. The upper intake makes it a little difficult.

There is a shrader valve on one of the fuel rails that you can use to measure fuel pressure with a gauge. That's what I would be focusing on first based on your observation that it fires up with carb cleaner - suggests a fuel delivery problem.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:54 PM

You're missing a LOT of info. Miles, maintenance history, mods, damage, repairs, 2/4WD, 1/2 fuel tanks, trim level, trans, cab/bed sizes, rear axle ratio & diff type... Some of that is necessary to answer your current question, but it's easier to put it ALL in your sig now so we don't have to ask & wait again before we can answer your next question.

The truck has at least 2 fuel pumps - which one(s) do you hear? Unplug the frame pump to check the tank pump(s). What's the fuel pressure?

(phone app link)
Old 05-07-2018, 08:23 AM

I am not sure of the maintenance records. I have only had the truck a for a couple months.1 fuel tank. I am going to get a fuel pressure gauge today and check out the pressure. Does the fuel line that goes to the back of the intake use a special connector? The hose slides back and forth but does not just pop off. It had a connector on it with a wire going from the connector to the clamp that I am not familiar with. Thanks for all the help. Jim
Old 05-07-2018, 08:42 AM

I have noticed this fuel filter. Is this the correct spot for it? Reading through the Chiltons it seems it should be back near the tank. I know it wont make a difference but just curious if the Chlitons is wrong or if the PO just for some reason put it there.. Thanks. Jim
Old 05-07-2018, 08:43 AM

Lightbulb

I have noticed this fuel filter. Is this the correct spot for it? Reading through the Chiltons it seems it should be back near the tank. I know it wont make a difference but just curious if the Chlitons is wrong or if the PO just for some reason put it there.It is on the driverside right below the firewall.Thanks. Jim

Last edited by redidbull; 05-07-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by redidbull
Does the fuel line that goes to the back of the intake...
There are 2 fuel lines connected to the fuel rail - none connect to the intake.
...use a special connector?
Depends what you consider "special". It's a garter-spring quick-connect:

(phone app link)

For more info, keep reading the NEXT caption in that album until you've read them all.
It had a connector on it with a wire going from the connector to the clamp...
That's just the tether for the safety clip. You need a tool (shown in that album) to release the garter spring.

Yes, that's an early stock location for the fuel filter.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 05-07-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the info. I have gotten a fuel pressure gauge and will check it today or tomorrow. I will try that before looking into removing the fuel line. I meant the line disappearing behind the intake. Maybe the filter got clogged. There was very little gas in it when I bought it and I think it had sat at some point in it's life for a while. May have picked up some crap. Thanks. Jim

Quick Reply: Ran Good Now Wont Start