Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

ram air hood and intake

Old 08-23-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram air hood and intake

ive been looking for them for a while for my 94 XLT w/ 5.0... cheapest i can seem to find them is ~$560 which is a little more than i was wanting to spend on the hood. So i was thinking about fabing up the hood scoop and intake myself, and i have a few questions...

1. how would be the best way to attatch it to the hood? i talked to my uncle that does all my welding work for me and hes not sure if the hood will hold up to welding... worried that with will warp. he suggested to push the scoop up from under the hood and have a flanges to hold it in place and either tac weld it or use some kind of epoxy. Any suggestions?

2. How i was thinking about doing the intake was taking the air box, remove most if the dual ducting and flip the box over... that would up it about center... cut the bottum (that is now the top) and us like door seals to seal it with the hood. would that be the best/easiest way to do it?

3. if i go the the above idea i was just going to cur a hole the size of the air box, wich is 6x12... would this be big enuff to see and incress in power or should i find a bigger air box to use.

4. is all of this worth the trouble to save a few hundred dollers?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 PM

also thought about something else... how do you keep water out, from like rain
Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM
good ol Arizona boy

I have wondered about that my self,
Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM

guessing no one has ever done anything like this?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 PM

or maybe someone could atleast point me in the right direction
Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 PM

If you dont want the scoop to go up with the hood, you could get the scoop mounted solid to the motor and cut a hole in your hood to clear it. It would be more like a rumble scoop. Then like you said you can use weatherstripping to seal it to the hood, ya just have to get the height right so when the hood closes it seals tight. Just an Idea

And for keeping water out, you could put a hole somewhere in the bottom of you intake tubing, and put a resivour or catch can there, so most of the water should drain into that.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM

Have you ever seen the hood of a 1988 thunderbird turbo coupe? http://members.***.net/turbocoupe50/88tc3z.jpg
The hood came like that stock and you coupld probably get the parts from a bone yard cheap. There's a duct with a seal that goes to the passenger side so that the intercooler gets air. If I wasn't planning to make my nostrils into ram air on my bird, I'd sell you my ducting but you'd still have to get the scoops. Can usually be had for cheap at the JY and they just drop right into a hole.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:58 AM

what i did is take a 1979 z28 bolt on cowl and cut the nose and then made it like the ss ram air will send pics later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ram air hood and intake