Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

playing on ice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:11 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts
Default playing on ice.

So my truck is fairly capable for a 2wd. I run in the trails when I can. My Yokohama AT/S snow and ice rated tires grip pretty well. So when we went to visit my parents in paradise north of Sacramento and we decided to drive up the mountain to find some snow I thought, no problem. We had already driven the 500 miles up there from Long Beach through rain, flooding fog and freezing rain with no issues. So my family jumped in their new Subaru Forester and my wife and I followed in the Ford. We hit the first patch of black ice and while I watched the independent electronic controls practically tiptoe the Subaru over the ice my rear tires kicked out. I asked my wife to get on the radio and remind my dad that my truck is 30 years old and can't ice skate. We slowed down to 40. Just as I was noticing the ice getting to heavy I mentioned to the wife that we should throw the chains on. At almost that exact moment I had to move toward the inside of the road to avoid some local college kids who had parked their 2005 Mustangs on the only flat part of the road. Well my front tires made the turn but the rear decided it liked the snow bank better. I stopped and slowly tried to pull forward but only succeeded in slowly turning around. The kids in the stang said sorry its really slippery and slanted over there, that's why we parked here. So to add to humiliation the little Subbie with its fancy traction control pulled the truck out of the ice. Once the chains were on I was back in control but the damage was done. Fortunately no one was hurt and nothing damaged but my ego. On the up side, I forgot to release the e brake and the subbie couldn't budge the truck so at least I have it beat in the power department. I have decided I'm doing a 4wd conversion, but still you have to respect those new traction control systems. They're nothing like the old ones, they actually work and you hardly notice them.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad no one got hurt. Those traction controlled cars are nice on ice. I have a f250 2 wheel drive with a v10 and smaller tires on it. If there is enough room I give it more gas than to hit the brakes when the back end tries to come up front. I`m surprised you got chains, not to many people run them any more, even up here. I keep a set of chains in the 250 in the winter time. I would like to try a light duty chain set, just to try them. What kind of chains do you gave? Mine are pretty heavy duty.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the old school chain link style. You can't beat chains for traction. Is like to try some of those quick cable ones. The old ones are heavy and hard to mount.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I've had both and i don't like the cable ones . I have slung the cable ones off the tire, and yourConstantly haveing to rejust thoses. I never had a problem with the old chain style staying on the tires.

Quick Reply: playing on ice.