Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Over riding the Mass air flow

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Over riding the Mass air flow

Okay, heres the run down, i got a ram air hood for a 96 302, i found the kit to make it functional, problem which is brought to my attention by manufacturer is the mass air sensor, They say their hood will not work with the sensor. First question is why. Second is does any one know how to over ride that sensor, is there a programmer i can purchase that can delete that code. Any information will help alot.

thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

I'm pretty sure that there is a little resistor that you can buy from like radio shack for less than $5 that you tap into the wires on your MAS. They are sold all over ebay for about that price as well. I don't know how they hook in or the effects but I can't imagine that you will likely see anything but negative results.
The MAS helps control the fuel/air ratio that will always vary with air temp and air density. I don't know that I would go overriding it because one of those resistors will just make it read one flatline pattern and you will only get one fuel/air mixture.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The MAF sensor is one of the most important sensors on the engine. Bypassing it or eliminating it is not good or recommended if you want the engine to run good. There is a reason people swap from MAP to MAF, because it's an upgrade.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:04 PM

Thanks, good to know, the only reason why i was thinking of doing this was the ram air hood i was going to purchase said it didnt work with mass air flow sensors for some reason i havent heard back yet from the company so i'll wait to see what they say. but i doubt im going that route cuz i know the hood has a rain drain but i worry alittle about alot of snow which i get alot here in the north
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
We'd do it

The reason the sensor wouldn't work with the ram air hood is because the forced air would blow through the sensor giving it incorrect readings. The readings would be incorrect because any forced air that couldn't be forced in the throttle body would be forced back out or through any holes in the air duct, further causing bad readings.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run the ram air kit on the bottom of the hood. Buy the adapter kit (piece of aluminum that bolts to your maf to convert to a cone air filter) and just let the cool air from the hood blow down across the cone air filter. That way your engine can still breath fresh air instead of warm engine compartment air, but it won't be forced to screw up your mass air readings.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM

And if your really worried about the winters, just swap on a block off plate instead of the screens, run the screens in the other 3 seasons. I've got one so i know they bolt on and off. I assume the one you found is the cervini's that we talked about earlier.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM

yeah the hood i was looking at was cervinis, so your saying that i dont have to worry about the mass air sensor, just to put a cone filter on the intake and attach their kit and it will work fine. Sounds easy enough thanks for the help
Old 12-13-2008, 05:34 PM
We'd do it

He is saying to direct the forced air towards the cone filter, but don't force the air in the intake tract and you will be fine.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Yeah direct it towards the cone filter, in other words, you woudn't use the lower section of the ram air system that comes with the kit, you would essentially have the filter attached to the mass air.

Quick Reply: Over riding the Mass air flow