Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Oil pressure indicator on N in Normal range

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure indicator on N in Normal range

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have hear that changing the oil and putting one quart of ATF or seafoam may help loosen any old buildup. Would you suggest this and if so, do I drive it a while like this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:04 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i would do the sea foam treatment.

and as for the gauges on our trucks. they are pretty much dummy gauges, they dont function like normal gauges would function.

the only gauge that i have found to read right is the fuel gauge and they are still off most of the time. lol
Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM

X2 for the seafoam. You don't have to leave it in long to notice a difference either. But you can leave it in almost as long as you want. Til your oil is really dirty then change it. Personally I wouldn't drive more than 100 miles or so with it in. I had it in my truck the other day for only about 15 mins and my oil was jet black coming out. On the can it also gives you instructions on how to run it in your vac lines. I highly reccomemnd that as well. Let it sit 5 or 10 mins longer than suggested though.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

You could have a crappy oil filter (i.e. orange Fram) killing your oil pressure. Also, your oil pressure switch could be on the outs as well. If you've had your truck for awhile and changing your oil normally, you shouldn't have any sort of buildup accumulated in your engine.

Seafoam is good.

I also like mixing 15w-40 diesel oil with Marvel Mystery oil as well for one OCI to clean it out.

ATF to clean engines is very much obsolete in my book. Any quality synthetic motor oil has as many, if not more detergents than ATF. ATF just thins out the oil.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM
BLS

Originally Posted by qdeezie
You could have a crappy oil filter (i.e. orange Fram) killing your oil pressure. Also, your oil pressure switch could be on the outs as well. If you've had your truck for awhile and changing your oil normally, you shouldn't have any sort of buildup accumulated in your engine.

Seafoam is good.

I also like mixing 15w-40 diesel oil with Marvel Mystery oil as well for one OCI to clean it out.

ATF to clean engines is very much obsolete in my book. Any quality synthetic motor oil has as many, if not more detergents than ATF. ATF just thins out the oil.
Agree with qdeezie. Your low oil pressure reading could either be a plugged filter or bad oil pressure gauge sending unit. I just replaced the sending unit in my truck and the gauge went from below the N to a little over the R in NORMAL.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure indicator on N in Normal range