Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Oil pan Replacement

Old 12-07-2013, 07:03 PM
mattbarron94

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Oil pan Replacement

Im going to be replacing the oil pan of my 4.9l in a few weeks because I stripped out the oil plug.... I have a few quick questions

1. I havent really looked but I dont have to lift the engine right? i should just be able to jack up the truck, unbolt it and replace?

2. Which gasket would be better? the two piece? one piece? or liquid gasket?

3. The Pan I plan on buying is used and it has "a little bit of surface rust" would you recommend getting the used one and cleaning off the surface rust, or buying a brand new one?

any help is much appreciated thank you!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbarron94
Im going to be replacing the oil pan of my 4.9l in a few weeks because I stripped out the oil plug.... I have a few quick questions

1. I havent really looked but I dont have to lift the engine right? i should just be able to jack up the truck, unbolt it and replace?

2. Which gasket would be better? the two piece? one piece? or liquid gasket?

3. The Pan I plan on buying is used and it has "a little bit of surface rust" would you recommend getting the used one and cleaning off the surface rust, or buying a brand new one?

any help is much appreciated thank you!

why not just try to re-tap your oil pan rather then replacing it? ive never done a 4.9, but if its anything like a 302 then its a pain in the **** to do, and yes, the engine has to be lifted up, which still doesn't allow the pan to come off.

if you do go to change it, i recommend just buying a new one. you wont get all the surface rust off unless you blast it, and it will rust out quicker. if i ever have to do it again, ill be getting the damn thing powder coated lol.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 PM
mattbarron94

Originally Posted by matthew13sanderson
why not just try to re-tap your oil pan rather then replacing it? ive never done a 4.9, but if its anything like a 302 then its a pain in the **** to do, and yes, the engine has to be lifted up, which still doesn't allow the pan to come off.

if you do go to change it, i recommend just buying a new one. you wont get all the surface rust off unless you blast it, and it will rust out quicker. if i ever have to do it again, ill be getting the damn thing powder coated lol.
Well after doing a little reasearch you are right I will have to lift the engine. Which I am not going to do. I will probably actually drill out the hole and re-thread it. >.> I hate myself for stripping that **** out...
Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Matt,
Look on YouTube. There are numerous ways to repair that stripped plug. Here is one way in which you use a rubber plug:
There are also heli-coils, self tapping oversize plugs, directions on how to remove your plug if it is still in place and wont screw out.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
mattbarron94

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
Matt,
Look on YouTube. There are numerous ways to repair that stripped plug. Here is one way in which you use a rubber plug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAvBAJaBwQ
There are also heli-coils, self tapping oversize plugs, directions on how to remove your plug if it is still in place and wont screw out.
That is what I currently Have in there. Im looking for a permanent fix for it though.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Heli-coil or oversize self tapping then.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

I had a bad oil leak and was able to use a 90 Degree, 1/4" drive tool. Not a ratchet. It looks like an allen wrench, L shaped bar with a 1/4" drive on the end about 3" long. I had plenty of room to get in between the cross member and the pan to remove the bolts by hand, drop the pan down onto the cross member and reposition the rubber pan gasket and put the bolts back in and tighten them up. Even doing the tightening by hand, I was able to get a good seal and have had no further leaks. Going on two years now. I did not attempt to pull the pan out since I had no need to at the time, so I'm not sure if it would have cleared the crank or not. This might help. Just an FYI.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Existing plug should be 1/2". Drill and tap to a 14mm x 1.50 Ford drain plug. Another option is 1/2 oversized self tapping piggyback plug. With the oversize plug you don't remove the main plug but a smaller inner plug to drain the oil. The second option is easier and works well, most parts stores sell the plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pan Replacement