Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Oil and coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil and coolant leak

I have a oil leak that makes the oil pan wet. Never any oil drips on the driveway but I'm not sure where it's coming from. Any ideas?
As for the coolant it leaks about a cup and a half every two weeks. I checked the hoses and the thermostat housing and they're dry. But I still find the coolant on the ground so I know it's not burning it. Any help?
Thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Chief Mystic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coolant usually comes out of the radiator, not the engine side of your hoses, so follow them that way, I would be surprised if your thermostat got loose without many other issues. Could be a small crack in the radiator itself too.

The engine fans [and driving] push small amounts all over, so they can be hard to track. if possible, let it sit for a day or 2 to see if it builds up somewhere, but that is probably why you cant find the leak.

Check around your PCV valve for the oil "leak" it may be bubbling up there, and riding the back of the block down to the pan. Your PCV may be hard to get to. If you need to clean it, replace it. Spend the money and get the OEM motorcraft valve (15 bucks or so).
Old 03-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigred1996
I have a oil leak that makes the oil pan wet. Never any oil drips on the driveway but I'm not sure where it's coming from. Any ideas?
As for the coolant it leaks about a cup and a half every two weeks. I checked the hoses and the thermostat housing and they're dry. But I still find the coolant on the ground so I know it's not burning it. Any help?
Thanks in advance
as far as the oil pan..crawl under there and see if you can snug the bolts up some..the gaskets sometimes relax and then the bolts become loose
Old 03-01-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The oil pans are notorious for rusting right through. Or as djfllmn said, try tightening the pan bolts a little. Front and rear seals on the crank leak, but that's often caused by a faulty PCV system - pressure builds up. Check around the rocker covers too, it may be leaking down from up there.
If it isn't dripping all over everybody's driveways then nothing to get overly concerned about, but you should definitely think about changing the pcv valve if it hasn't been done.

Quick Reply: Oil and coolant leak