Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

O/D light flashes

Old 09-16-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/D light flashes

I'm only 17 so I'm not very educated on transmissions. I've got 1995 with a E4OD with 120,xxx miles on it since last rebuild. The light has been flashing on and off for about two months when I "clean the cobwebs out of her" or when it drops down going up a hill or catch some wash boards on back roads for a minute to five minutes at a time. It doesn't flash every time but when it does she obviously doesn't like o/d. I've been looking at other threads and some say it's because of overheating.. water temp sits right on the "N" or between the "N" and "O" on the gauge. My radiator is about do for new antifreeze and a cleaning. Antifreeze is still a little green but has some stuff in there. I've also been told it might be the trans cooler but everything seems fine there. The fluid is not burned and looks almost new still. Please help! It annoys the **it out of me.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulls n Broncs 30-06
I'm only 17 so I'm not very educated on transmissions. I've got 1995 with a E4OD with 120,xxx miles on it since last rebuild. The light has been flashing on and off for about two months when I "clean the cobwebs out of her" or when it drops down going up a hill or catch some wash boards on back roads for a minute to five minutes at a time. It doesn't flash every time but when it does she obviously doesn't like o/d. I've been looking at other threads and some say it's because of overheating.. water temp sits right on the "N" or between the "N" and "O" on the gauge. My radiator is about do for new antifreeze and a cleaning. Antifreeze is still a little green but has some stuff in there. I've also been told it might be the trans cooler but everything seems fine there. The fluid is not burned and looks almost new still. Please help! It annoys the **it out of me.
If it's flashing you should have codes stored. Have you checked?
Old 09-18-2016, 04:56 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

My O/D light flashed occasionally just before the transmission crapped out. Went on for months on occasion. My truck would shift really hard when this happened. When it happened, I would pull truck over and restart and it would go away. Fluid seemed fine then too.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by memoniz
My O/D light flashed occasionally just before the transmission crapped out. Went on for months on occasion. My truck would shift really hard when this happened. When it happened, I would pull truck over and restart and it would go away. Fluid seemed fine then too.
What happened to your tranny?? That's almost the same thing thats happening here from what it sounds but if I keep driving it'll turn off too
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

One day on the highway, it started flashing so I pulled over on the exit and shut the truck off. After I restarted, I drove up the exit and went across to the entrance ramp. At that point I saw a little smoke coming out from behind and when I got up to speed, a lot. I pulled over. It dumped about all its fluid and had it towed. Had it taken to an Aamco and they rebuilt it. This was the second of two rebuilds for this truck. The first around 150k, the second around 335k.

I'm leery of transmission shops, but I'm at their mercy. If you get yours rebuilt and you don't have a separate cooler, get one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O/D light flashes