Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

No Low End Power and Rough Idle when in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Low End Power and Rough Idle when in Gear

So I bought this truck(95 F150 XL 5.0l automatic) about a month ago from an older couple that had it for 4 years and just let it sit. (put less than 1,000 miles on it in 4 years) drove it 90 miles home. Got it home did a tune up (plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor), oil change, Transmission filter change. It ran fine(still needed a lot of work but got me from point a to point b), then all of the sudden the other day the truck wouldn't go faster than 35, revved up real high but never went faster. Shut it off 2 hours later drove it and it ran 75 mph. Took it to a muffler shop and had the Cats tested, they were good. Changed the fuel filter next, it was nasty. Then got a code 332. Changed out the EGR, code went away still didn't help with low end power or rough idle. Next I cleaned out the IAC, Throttle Body, changed the TPS, and put a fuel system cleaner in the tank. Helped with the idle but I still have no low end power. By no low end power I mean it takes forever to get off the line and its only first gear. Once it gets into Second the get up and go increases significantly. My next step is to clean the MAS. Anyone have any other ideas on what it could be or what I can do to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:19 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I'd say fuel system. I wouldn't waste time with injector cleaners ect. Pull the upper intake, pull fuel rail and injectors and clean them. Most of the injector cleaning videos replace the screens but you don't have to. You can blow air or cleaner either direction thru the injector. Just buy a $10 repair clip, makes the electrical connection easier and some orings and go to town. Find a deal on some fuel filters and change it a few times over the first thousand miles you get it running decent.

Quick Reply: No Low End Power and Rough Idle when in Gear