Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

"New" Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:32 AM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default "New" Truck?

Ok, so the first vehicle I ever bought new was a 1987 F150 XLT Lariat RCLB with a 4.9L engine and manual trans. I LOVED that truck, and I drove it as my primary vehicle for 13 years. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I saw a 1988 sitting on the side of the road for sale. The price on the window said $1,495 OBO. It was on my regular route to work, so I saw it every day. After about a week, it said $1,195, so I stopped and looked at it. It has a 4.9L engine and manual trans as well (Deja Vu, right?) Engine has 225k mis, and it is missing some large portions of paint (popped off). However, the body and other structural components appear to be in good shape (some light rust, but no visible rot). Then, just the other day, I noticed that it said $895. So, I called the guy. He said that it was not his truck, and that he was selling it for his neighbor's family. Apparently, then neighbor died and the family wanted to get rid of the truck. It sat for 12-18 mos, but the guy said he drained the fuel, put new fuel in the tank, and it started right up. He said as far as he can tell it runs fine with no knocks, and shifts fine as well. I was thinking about going by and test driving it, and, if it checks out, offering him $750. My plan would be for a basic (not mint) restoration project, with an eye toward giving it to my daughter when she is ready to drive (I'll have a few years to get it straightened out- motor rebuilt, paint, etc.). Any comments or suggestions? I know, perhaps I'm losing it and am just nostalgic for my old truck (my wife didn't actually go that far, but the insinuation was definitely there).
Old 09-09-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 494 Likes on 428 Posts

That would be the last vehicle I would buy for a daughter's first car. Big old vehicle, standard shift and smart phones make a bad combination to me.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Probably depends on the girl. If she is already manual trans competent, or learns such things easily and is somewhat tall, then why not. I taught my 5' 2" granddaughter to drive stick shift in my '87 4.9 4 speed, and while she could do it, there was no adjustment of the seat or tilt wheel that made it anywhere near safe, or comfortable. We resorted to a couch cushion between her back and the seat. I would endorse the idea of the truck itself, those are some of the best iron ever to hit the streets.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

You have to think about things like, 'no air bags' and other safety items like that . Also like others have said, 'will she fit and reach everything'. My 5'2" wife can drive my 1991 fine but can't find the 'perfect' seat position. I'm just 5'9" and fit pretty good but I also can't really find the 'perfect' adjustment with the bench seats on the truck like I can get with my Mustangs bucket seats. Good luck
Old 09-09-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

I would buy it at that price if the body is 100% solid, it starts and drives well, and doesn't need a pile of repairs. I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole of engine rebuilds, quality paint jobs, and so in.....Restoration money spent on a truck like that would be largely wasted. Nothing wrong with that if you have the money to blow and it's what you want, though.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I understand about the safety concerns (no airbags), and it is certainly something to consider. My first car was a '71 Plymouth Fury III with a 318 cu in V8. That was a lot of steel to hoss around, but I definitely felt safe in it. And, I slid off of the road one time in my '87 F150 head-on into a tree on a down grade. I ended up with a dent in the hood and a bent bumper. After the truck was pulled out (couldn't back up on the grade), I drove the truck away. It is a solid truck, and is as safe as a vehicle without air bags can be imho. I also have rebuilt the 300 6 cyl before. It's actually a pretty straight-forward job. The EFI systems in those trucks were not real complicated.
As far as the big vehicle/ manual/ cell phone combination is concerned, I think that everyone should at least learn how to drive a stick. You never know when you might be faced with an emergency where your only choice is to drive a manual trans vehicle to safety. The cell phone issue is dangerous in any vehicle, regardless of the trans. A strict no cell phone when driving rule helps, but you can't be there with them all the time. I still have not decided, but I have time to mull it over. I do, however, appreciate the input. Definitely some food for thought!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

I put a Bluetooth capable receiver in my 96, & while hands free isn't mind free, it is an improvement, laws around here are pushing that way anyhow. I do have to tap the screen on the radio to answer, but after that it is like talking to someone in the cab. I still don't condone driving while talking, much less texting, but the stick shift should keep that under control.