New to me 1989 F150 XLT Lariat. - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New to me 1989 F150 XLT Lariat.

 
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New to me 1989 F150 XLT Lariat.

Greetings all, since my last post about seating, I ended up dumping that 90 MY and picked up a much better driving/condition 89. Still the 302 automatic 4x4, but fully stock and 1 owner with 238k. It needs a decent amount of work, but its mostly cosmetic. The truck was traded in on a new truck, and I got it from auction, so I am not able to talk to the PO and ask questions but it drives like a dream compared to the 90. Since Ive had it, Ive been too scared to try the rear tank. Here is what Im thinking. Should I try to use a transfer pump to suck out any gas in the rear tank and inspect it, if it looks good, dump in some fresh gas and maybe seafoam and send it? What are your thoughts?

Additionally, the truck was in a fender bender on the right front. The fender and bumper are crinkled. The frame looks good, but the grill is a bit smashed on that side and the under-grill metal is bent up too. Ive been looking at parts locally, but it seems that unless I find an 87-89 Im going to need to swap over the core support, both fenders, headlights, grille, under grille, am I missing anything? I have found a local guy parting a 95 and so far he has said $200 for both doors complete, fenders, and grille. I am waiting to hear back on the core support and lights and such. I already got a new metal bumper for free, just need to sand it down and paint it.

Thanks in advance
brennen757 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:35 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
BLDTruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,419
Thanked 353 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by brennen757 View Post
Greetings all, since my last post about seating, I ended up dumping that 90 MY and picked up a much better driving/condition 89. Still the 302 automatic 4x4, but fully stock and 1 owner with 238k. It needs a decent amount of work, but its mostly cosmetic. The truck was traded in on a new truck, and I got it from auction, so I am not able to talk to the PO and ask questions but it drives like a dream compared to the 90. Since Ive had it, Ive been too scared to try the rear tank. Here is what Im thinking. Should I try to use a transfer pump to suck out any gas in the rear tank and inspect it, if it looks good, dump in some fresh gas and maybe seafoam and send it? What are your thoughts?

Additionally, the truck was in a fender bender on the right front. The fender and bumper are crinkled. The frame looks good, but the grill is a bit smashed on that side and the under-grill metal is bent up too. Ive been looking at parts locally, but it seems that unless I find an 87-89 Im going to need to swap over the core support, both fenders, headlights, grille, under grille, am I missing anything? I have found a local guy parting a 95 and so far he has said $200 for both doors complete, fenders, and grille. I am waiting to hear back on the core support and lights and such. I already got a new metal bumper for free, just need to sand it down and paint it.

Thanks in advance
Why are you afraid to try the rear tank?

87-91 will be similar body style for replacement parts - if you are wanting to swap over to the 92-96 body style you need everything in front of the cab, at least body wise.
BLDTruth is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Jeepcritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 185
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

how is it both an XLT and a Lariat?
Jeepcritter is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BLDTruth View Post
Why are you afraid to try the rear tank?

87-91 will be similar body style for replacement parts - if you are wanting to swap over to the 92-96 body style you need everything in front of the cab, at least body wise.
Iím mostly afraid of it having not been used in a long time and sucking in bad gas I guess. I suppose it may be irrational.
brennen757 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
BLDTruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,419
Thanked 353 Times in 320 Posts
Default

I mean its not completely irrational, You could always try to pump it out and put some fresh stuff in and see. I'd at least see if it runs - then throw some fresh gas in and maybe a bottle of techron and run it as dry as possible. Then change your fuel filter.
BLDTruth is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepcritter View Post
how is it both an XLT and a Lariat?

Astute observation. It isnít. I donít know what I was thinking typing that up, I was busy playing pubg and trying to post.
brennen757 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:43 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BLDTruth View Post
I mean its not completely irrational, You could always try to pump it out and put some fresh stuff in and see. I'd at least see if it runs - then throw some fresh gas in and maybe a bottle of techron and run it as dry as possible. Then change your fuel filter.
I think Iíll give it a go
brennen757 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
David Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Clinton, Tennessee
Posts: 508
Thanked 63 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepcritter View Post
how is it both an XLT and a Lariat?
My 1991 is a XLT Lariat.

David Young is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:10 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
BLDTruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,419
Thanked 353 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by David Young View Post
My 1991 is a XLT Lariat.
That thing is just so damn sexy, and I am usually not into bricknoses. Well done, sir.

Sorry for the OT
BLDTruth is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to BLDTruth For This Useful Post:
David Young (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:26 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Maysville KY
Posts: 950
Thanked 61 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by David Young View Post
My 1991 is a XLT Lariat.
that is a beautiful truck! i'd love to have that! has it been re painted?
DarrinT04 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrinT04 For This Useful Post:
David Young (02-12-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 1989 F150 XLT Lariat.


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: