Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New guy can't get his new @#$% lower radiator hose on without leaks, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy can't get his new @#$% lower radiator hose on without leaks, help!

Hi guys, I just purchased a "well-loved", rusty 1992 F150 4x2 with the 300 inline 6 engine recently. The first job I knew I needed to do on this machine was replace the radiator, as it was full of rust (the coolant was orange), and I could also see it leaked a bit from the lower hose, so I went ahead and replaced those. However, it took me probably the better part of an hour to get the lower hose attached to the bottom of the engine again, and while I thought I had it on there far enough, evidently I do not, because I'm still pissing coolant when the system pressurizes! I get a little more than one drop per second, which is probably a bit too much to be OK.

Right now I'm about ready to scrap the whole thing so I'm going to let it sit for a while and regain my wits, in the mean time can you all suggest some better ways of attaching that hose? I'm pretty sure I jammed it on there around 1/2" or more on all sides, and got the clamp as tight as I could. Does it need to go on further or is there something else I should try?

Also it's possible the leak could be coming from somewhere ABOVE that hose, I just can't quite see where that would be in this case...the drops always come down the bottom of the hose and drip where the hose bends. Is there anything directly around/above that hose that could be leaking instead? I don't know if there's a freeze plug or something else like that in that area.

Thanks for helping me keep my sanity...

-Dan
Old 06-13-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

If the hose won't slide all the way on, it's possible you have the wrong hose or it's installed backwards. You also should make sure there's no corrosion or buildup where the hose fits. A wire brush should make quick work of that. Lastly, it may be the water pump leaking either through a bad seal or electrolysis.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nrivera04
If the hose won't slide all the way on, it's possible you have the wrong hose or it's installed backwards. You also should make sure there's no corrosion or buildup where the hose fits. A wire brush should make quick work of that. Lastly, it may be the water pump leaking either through a bad seal or electrolysis.
Good point...the upper hose I bought fit perfectly, but I did notice that the end that connects to the engine was flared a bit. The lower hose was not flared at all. It is otherwise the right shape. I bought the hoses from AutoZone. Does anyone have pictures or could tell me if the lower hose should be flared on the end that connects to the bottom of the engine?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Just double clamp it, I've found on my truck the water pump and hose leave a large gap with the aftermarket parts. Does seem the problem is most likely the water pump neck being a bit small.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

Try WD-40 on the hose.. It may slip on more after you try that.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdmartin65
Just double clamp it, I've found on my truck the water pump and hose leave a large gap with the aftermarket parts. Does seem the problem is most likely the water pump neck being a bit small.
Double clamp it or get new clamps.. I had a clamp that I thought I was closing it and it was actually not grabbing on the clamp with the screw/bolt. Id get new ones.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

1/2 " is not on far enough. should be almost to the tank. The hose clamp is almost 1/2' wide.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Agree with Fomoco...needs to be on the radiator outlet more than a half inch...remove it and lube it up a little and make sure it slides all the way on and clamp it before the end flare on the outlet tube.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I was having the same problem once. I was sure I couldn't get it any further, and in my anger at that fact, I pushed it REALLY hard and it slid on all the way. so maybe just grease it up and give it that little bit extra
Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i tried to replace my 96 4.9 lower hose with one from napa...they gave me one that looked right but upon installing was more than an inch short. figuring it must have been cut by someone, we ordered another. same deal. i couldnt get the hose completely on without rubbing the compressor pulley, their hose is just wrong..i had to get a motorcraft

Quick Reply: New guy can't get his new @#$% lower radiator hose on without leaks, help!