Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New to Ford and Forum

Old 06-29-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New to Ford and Forum

I have a 1987 Ford F150 4.9 L 300 engine. Dual tanks, rear tank leaks has not been used in years. This truck was pretty much given to me by my father in law, I am more of a chevy guy, but cant bitch about free. Anyway...... Every once in a while it would sputter and die going down the road, fire right back up. Not now. Cranks, have spark (pulled spark plug and watched it), took off fuel line, NO FUEL. Changed fuel filter and external fuel pump, still NOTHING. Dropped tank, changed fuel pump, nothing. Checked switch under dash ohms good, no voltage. No voltage at pump either. There are 2 relays on the drivers side, kinda attached to the air filter box, is that the fuel relays? They "click" when key is turned on. Im lost confused and dumbfounded. Where the hell is the "computer" everyone keeps talking about? And that whole EEC IV thing? Now I know why I liked chevy so much, but Ill stick it out with the ford.... Its a great truck...when it runs!! ANY HELP IS GREAT!!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The fuel pump relay has a yellow wire, a red wire, a brown wire, and a tan with light green stripe wire. You can hot the brown wire and see if the fuel pump runs. That will bypass the relay. You can also check the fuel pump inertia switch, it will trip in an accident shutting down the fuel pump. If it tripped, reset it by pushing the button, or it may be bad, you can try bypassing it. It is located in the cab on the firewall to the left of the brake pedal or behind the right kick panel. The computer is located behind the left kick panel, you can see the harness from under the hood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Ford and Forum