Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

New F150 owner having oil pan gasket problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F150 owner having oil pan gasket problems

I bought a 92 F150 with the 302 and auto tranny. I'm not a mechanic but I wasn't willing to pay the labor charges to have the gasket changed. I managed to get the oil pan out without hoisting the engine. Now basically I couldn't get it back in because I had to bolt up the oil pump before trying to put the pan back up. Since then i've removed the upper intake, unbolted the engine, and the fan shroud. I cannot seem to lift the engine high enough still. On another note, I'm not entirely sure i've hooked up the hoist correctly, I found the hoist point on the driver's side but I can't find another hard point on the passenger side.
If anyone has a walk through or knows what i'm doing wrong here, i'd be grateful
Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
One BAMF

Oh jeez, well there was a semi-easier way of doing it. We use either the stretch or the fishing method. Once you drain and drop the pan you can 1) stretch the gasket to go over the pan or you can 2) go through the draining hole and fish it out with a coat hanger, etc. But now that you've already unbolted the motor there should be two hoist hooks on the left front and right rear of the motor. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/70...ine-hoist.html
Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the hoist points...still can't raise it high enough, is there something the tranny is bolted to that needs removing?
that stretching around the pan may have worked, but i don't know i have the Fel Pro one piece with what looks like metal reinforcments.

Last edited by SPCMarty; 12-17-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Ahahahahahaha!!!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

SPCMarty, are/were you in the army?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing he is...so first off, thank you for your service. Secondly, when I did mine (and btw I LOVE that one piece gaskets, no leaks in 40k miles yet!) I unbolted the transmission mount from the crossmember and that gave me a little more. I also did all this with the intake still attached. big pain in the butt ain't it?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Senior poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPCMarty
I bought a 92 F150 with the 302 and auto tranny. I'm not a mechanic but I wasn't willing to pay the labor charges to have the gasket changed. I managed to get the oil pan out without hoisting the engine. Now basically I couldn't get it back in because I had to bolt up the oil pump before trying to put the pan back up. Since then i've removed the upper intake, unbolted the engine, and the fan shroud. I cannot seem to lift the engine high enough still. On another note, I'm not entirely sure i've hooked up the hoist correctly, I found the hoist point on the driver's side but I can't find another hard point on the passenger side.
If anyone has a walk through or knows what i'm doing wrong here, i'd be grateful
I have never done this job personally but have read a lot about it. Here is a good post regarding this issue. I believe post #8 will clear up some problems you are experiencing:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=183762
Old 12-18-2010, 12:39 AM

Hmmm i think i should not have removed the actual oil pump, my oil pick up tube is still bolted by that one bolt on the bearing cap stud. I just had an idea, should the tube be detached, then bolted to the oil pump and once i have the pan under the engine bolt the the pump up?
As far as the transmission crossmember goes, is it the two bolts that the tranny mounts that i must remove or is it the whole crossmember?

And lastly yes I was active duty Army for three years stationed in Ft. Hood TX. from 2006-09, with B Co. 1-22INF 4th ID, and B Co. 2-7Cav 1st CD for the last 6months of my contract.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the pan back under the engine, then installed the pump. I put a small flashlight in the pan, and used a mirror to reinstall the pickup tube so I could see what I was doing. Then installed the nut that holds the support to the bearing cap stud.

Man what a fun job that was!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Ahahahahahaha!!!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

a big HOOAH to you SPCMarty for your serivce.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:34 PM

did you install the pump/pick up tube from the front of the engine or from the rear? That oil pump driveshaft makes the problem worse.

Quick Reply: New F150 owner having oil pan gasket problems