Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some help

im getting an 87 ford f150 with 5.0 v8 FI OHV reg cab 4x4, it needs a starter and battier it sat since summer when the starter went out. how hard and how many bolts is there. iv heard of 2 and 3 not really sure, and what else should i check for. the truck is about 200 miles from and im gonna work on from where its at to get it run so i can get it home to do the rest on it (tune up) after installing the new parts should this thing start right up or would it give me a hard time starter if it starts? any info would be great thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure you change the oil before you start it. It's not so much that the oil is 6 months old it's because 6 months sitting and not running is a dry motor. Everything that could has gone to the pan.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing the oil is a great idea, as well as checking the tranny and transfer case fluid. If it has sat a long time without being ran some oil may have leaked.I would also let it run for a while to get all the drive line lubed before giving it a load. It isn't a bad idea to change all the fluids and filters again after it has been run on your 200 mile trip.That acts as a flush. Hopefully this helps. The starter is easy to get at and should only take 15min to install. (take the wd-40 with you) Take care