Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need Help with Oil Pan

Old 03-25-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help with Oil Pan

I am new to the forums and needs some help. My aunt has a 1985 Ford F-150 and it needs a new oil pan installed. I need to know how difficult is this job and what needs to be done to get the oil pan off and the new one installed. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

take the old one off, and put a new seal on, and put the new pan on.

not real difficult, but there might be a crossmember, but im not sure, someone who knows more about this truck will be able to tell you in more detail.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 PM

Little more to it than that.

After reading the Helms manual, I needed to unbolt the pan. Unbolt the top four bolts on the motor mounts (not the two bottom ones, that would be too easy). Removed my upper intake (I have a 93 5.8L Lightning so maybe you can skip this). Jack the motor up until the bellhousing started to pinch the fuel lines against the firewall. Remove the two bolts holding the oil pump to the block, remove the nut holding the pick-up tube to the main cap stud. Pull out the dipstick. Then finagal the whole mess out. I think I left the starter on, but life would probably be easier if I took it off.

I guess you could unbolt the I-Beams, and remove the cross member, but that would probably take twice as long. It would also be worth it to see if you can get the pan out with the pump and pick-up still on the block, different motors and different years. Maybe it will be a lot easier than mine.

Another tip is to degrease the motor before you start. Also the factory pan on mine had a bunch of metal washers formed into the rubber gasket. Some will fall in the pan others will stay with the gasket.

When you re-install everything might want to use a new oil pump for $25 and pick-up for about $15. Felpro makes a one piece gasket for about $20, new pans run about $100-$150 so I sanblasted and repainted mine.

Don't over torque the pan bolts, chase all the holes in the block, clean the mounting surface with brake cleaner and a Scotch Brite, and clean the bolts with an overnight soaking in degreaser.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jpn914
Little more to it than that.

After reading the Helms manual, I needed to unbolt the pan. Unbolt the top four bolts on the motor mounts (not the two bottom ones, that would be too easy). Removed my upper intake (I have a 93 5.8L Lightning so maybe you can skip this). Jack the motor up until the bellhousing started to pinch the fuel lines against the firewall. Remove the two bolts holding the oil pump to the block, remove the nut holding the pick-up tube to the main cap stud. Pull out the dipstick. Then finagal the whole mess out. I think I left the starter on, but life would probably be easier if I took it off.

I guess you could unbolt the I-Beams, and remove the cross member, but that would probably take twice as long. It would also be worth it to see if you can get the pan out with the pump and pick-up still on the block, different motors and different years. Maybe it will be a lot easier than mine.

Another tip is to degrease the motor before you start. Also the factory pan on mine had a bunch of metal washers formed into the rubber gasket. Some will fall in the pan others will stay with the gasket.

When you re-install everything might want to use a new oil pump for $25 and pick-up for about $15. Felpro makes a one piece gasket for about $20, new pans run about $100-$150 so I sanblasted and repainted mine.

Don't over torque the pan bolts, chase all the holes in the block, clean the mounting surface with brake cleaner and a Scotch Brite, and clean the bolts with an overnight soaking in degreaser.
What he said. ...Why does it need a new pan? Did she hit something with it?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 AM

Forgot a few things, you need to unbolt the exhaust, the fan shroud, and the trans cooler lines.

In other words, look for any snags as you raise the motor. I hope you didn't take my previous post as a complete "how to". More of a "more-o- less how I remeber to."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help with Oil Pan