Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need help with front tank fuel leak and fuel return "system"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with front tank fuel leak and fuel return "system"

Hey everyone, I'm new here and it's my first post. I have a 1995 Eddie Bauer edition, extended cab, dual tank 4x4.

My front tank is dripping fuel. I'd like to wait till it gets warmer out to replace it, but in the mean time I'd like to use just the back tank. Unfortunately it seems that the fuel returning to the tanks, gets dumped into the front tank. So even when I run the front tank dry, as soon as I start using the back tank, the front tank starts to get filled up, and starts leaking again.

I'd like to find a diagram of the entire fuel system to help me figure out how to isolate the front tank. (I'm guessing I need to relocate? or block off the fuel return line to the front tank?). If someone can let me know where on the internet I can get my hands on the detailed parts diagrams etc. Or chime in on what/how I should fix this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

There is a check valve in the pump assembly that is supposed to close when it's not in use, forcing the return fuel to the other tank. Usually when the valve goes it's time to replace the entire pump assembly. I have not done it myself but there is a way to cap that return line off, you will have to wait for someone else to give you that info. Dropping the tank and replacing it is fairly simple though and could be done in just a couple of hours, don't know where you are but it's supposed to be up in the high 40's here this weekend and that would be plenty warm for me.

When you do replace you should get a tank with a pump already installed (assuming the leak is from the tank and not around the pump) and new tank straps. This way you can just disconnect the line and electrical connectors, unbolt the straps, drop the tank and slide the new one in. It's always recommended to replace the straps when you drop the tank, they are cheap and the last thing you need is to have to drop the same tank again later on, might as well get it in one go. Also consider replacing the filter at this time.

Quick Reply: Need help with front tank fuel leak and fuel return "system"