Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need Help! 89 4.9 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! 89 4.9 EFI

89 f150 with a 4.9 EFI; idles great, it'll idle all day. Having some strange problem can't identify. The problem is that when your giving the truck gas it have a fit sorta like loss of power and then it'll kill. After it kills you have to wait about 10mins before it'll crank back up, and it'll do this all day long. It's become a frustrating problem and I need help on this as soon as I can get it please. I've had it taken to a mechanic and he couldn't fix the problem. The truck has all new relays, computer, wiring and vacuum hoses, distributor, module, fuel pump, injectors showed good, fuel pressure is normal. The truck isn't showing any signs of any problems, it sounds and runs great until you give it gas and it kills. I've called all the mechanics in the area and they can't tell me whats wrong with it. One of the mechanics said they had same truck, model and everything with the exact same problem and he couldn't figure it out, he said that was the first one in all his years he wasn't able to fix. I'm hoping its something simple or something idk. I need help with this as soon as I can get it. I'm on a very very low budget now to get this truck fixed. Already put too much into and haven't gotten anywhere. If anyone can help please help It would be much appreciated and I thank you.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:12 AM
jcampe

Any codes? Maybe a clogged cat? Just trying to see if theres anything you havent checked. Double check all vacum hoses. Hopefully something simple. There is a lot of knowledgable people on here. Hopefully they will chime in and help.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Sounds very much like a restricted exhaust [cloged cat, smashed pipe or loose baffel in the muffller] I also ran into a situation whre a rag got into the gas tank and would restrict the pick up when it tryed to suck more fuel.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM

No codes, all the vacumme hoses are good they have been replaced with new ones and put where they need to be, cat is fine. It seems completely normal but yet somethings wrong with it >.<
Old 02-03-2012, 09:14 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Test the TPS.

Quick Reply: Need Help! 89 4.9 EFI