Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need Dual Tank Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Dual Tank Diagram

Im new to this website and i just joined today. I own a 1996 Ford F150 4.9l Inline 6 Eddie Bauer Regular Cab with dual tanks. The previous owner jimmy rigged the dual tanks and only hooked up the front, so i bought fuel injection fuel line to hook both the tanks up again, I think i might have hooked up the tanks wrong just wondering if anyone has a diagram or a picture of their own truck i could use to help.

I also noticed fresh fuel coming out from both the filler necks.

I am also getting DTC Codes:

- P0174 Confirmed
- P0420 Pending

What I did to attempt to fix it:

- Cleaned out my maf
- Checked all intake manifold gaskets and Fuel Injector seals with carb cleaner
- Replaced all hoses
- Replaced all three 02 sensors
- Smoke tested for vacuum leaks
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

If both tanks cross fill, that would be why he might have unhooked the tank cause fuel poor out when its overfilled.
Attached Thumbnails Need Dual Tank Diagram-screenshot245.jpg  

Last edited by sylver91; 03-08-2014 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ominouswolf94 (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ominouswolf94
Im new to this website and i just joined today. I own a 1996 Ford F150 4.9l Inline 6 Eddie Bauer Regular Cab with dual tanks. The previous owner jimmy rigged the dual tanks and only hooked up the front, so i bought fuel injection fuel line to hook both the tanks up again, I think i might have hooked up the tanks wrong just wondering if anyone has a diagram or a picture of their own truck i could use to help.

I also noticed fresh fuel coming out from both the filler necks.

I am also getting DTC Codes:

- P0174 Confirmed
- P0420 Pending

What I did to attempt to fix it:

- Cleaned out my maf
- Checked all intake manifold gaskets and Fuel Injector seals with carb cleaner
- Replaced all hoses
- Replaced all three 02 sensors
- Smoke tested for vacuum leaks

Since you've cleaned the MAF (one of the big culprits for this code), next up is fuel pressure -- the cross fill problem is very common and involves your fuel pumps in the tanks (a failed pump will under-deliver pressure (the lean code you're getting on the left bank) and its internal valve, if faulty, will be the culprit for the cross fill you're experiencing).

There's a remote chance the pumps are "plumbed" improperly --- the 3/8" line out of the fuel tank pumps is your high pressure feed, the 5/16" line out of the fuel tank pumps is your return. Please use proper (and new) Ford fuel line clips whenever you pull these lines --- cheap insurance down the road. There's a separate single or double port vent too.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by sylver91
If both tanks cross fill, that would be why he might have unhooked the tank cause fuel poor out when its overfilled.
Ok awesome I got the fuel lines correct but what about the evap connection?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1990 F350 4x4
Since you've cleaned the MAF (one of the big culprits for this code), next up is fuel pressure -- the cross fill problem is very common and involves your fuel pumps in the tanks (a failed pump will under-deliver pressure (the lean code you're getting on the left bank) and its internal valve, if faulty, will be the culprit for the cross fill you're experiencing).

There's a remote chance the pumps are "plumbed" improperly --- the 3/8" line out of the fuel tank pumps is your high pressure feed, the 5/16" line out of the fuel tank pumps is your return. Please use proper (and new) Ford fuel line clips whenever you pull these lines --- cheap insurance down the road. There's a separate single or double port vent too.

I used Rubber hoses and hose clamps for my fuel lines and for the FUEL T connectors i used a brass T for the delivery and return lines.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 PM

Ok awesome I got the fuel lines correct but what about the evap connection?
Evap connections go to a T fitting then route on the vent line one the outside of the frame on the passenger side up to the evap canister under the hood.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Evap connections go to a T fitting then route on the vent line one the outside of the frame on the passenger side up to the evap canister under the hood.
Please excuse me for my mechanic ignorance, Can I get a drawn picture or diagram would help thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

I used Rubber hoses and hose clamps for my fuel lines and for the FUEL T connectors i used a brass T for the delivery and return lines.
Dorman sells the Nylon kits pretty cheap with the line, fittings and T's if the rubber goes bad. it's the same stuff they use on new vehicles and the same stuff the clutch line is made from...

I just ran fuel lines on a Jimmy full length for $22.00 complete
Old 03-08-2014, 05:18 PM

I don't have a tank routing, but here is the vapor canister where those lines go to.

Just connect both evap vents on the top of the tanks to a T and run a line to the canister.
Attached Thumbnails Need Dual Tank Diagram-screenshot246.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 05:32 PM

I don't have a tank routing, but here is the vapor canister where those lines go to.

Just connect both evap vents on the top of the tanks to a T and run a line to the canister.
Ok I got that connected correctly. So all my connections are proper

Quick Reply: Need Dual Tank Diagram