Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Need Advice on Windshield replacement 1996 F150

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Advice on Windshield replacement 1996 F150

Had my truck for about a decade and never had to replace the windshield. Yesterday my neighbors kids threw a baseball through it. After an initial outburst of anger I calmed down and went over and talked to my neighbor in a civilized manner. He agreed to pay for the whole thing no questions asked. And I was upfront with him that I use the best parts and the best everything for my truck (which I've been doing since I got it). Never having been through this before I definitely need advice. I'm certainly not going to just call up Safelite and have their half-*** people do it I've read the horror stories. My biggest concern is the brand of windshield. What brand of glass should I get, and then after I've determined which windshield I want what are some tips for finding a local installer that does quality work. Money is no object, the only thing that matters is quality. Please help!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsLifeMerica
Had my truck for about a decade and never had to replace the windshield. Yesterday my neighbors kids threw a baseball through it. After an initial outburst of anger I calmed down and went over and talked to my neighbor in a civilized manner. He agreed to pay for the whole thing no questions asked. And I was upfront with him that I use the best parts and the best everything for my truck (which I've been doing since I got it). Never having been through this before I definitely need advice. I'm certainly not going to just call up Safelite and have their half-*** people do it I've read the horror stories. My biggest concern is the brand of windshield. What brand of glass should I get, and then after I've determined which windshield I want what are some tips for finding a local installer that does quality work. Money is no object, the only thing that matters is quality. Please help!
if you can get a carlite one i would go that route(that would have been the OE brand), if that is not available anymore then a good glass shop brand will be just fine. I personally would have no problems with safelite, they have done work for me in the past
Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

At least it only hit the windshield - much cheaper than body work. I got mine replaced by a local shop for less than 200 bucks. I wouldn't worry about quality, they are pretty much all the same these days.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
At least it only hit the windshield - much cheaper than body work. I got mine replaced by a local shop for less than 200 bucks. I wouldn't worry about quality, they are pretty much all the same these days.
i agree. a baseball will put at least a crack in any windshield if it hit hard enough
Old 02-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Look at the label in one of the lower corners of the original w/s - it's probably LOF (Libby-Owens Ford), but PPG & CarLite are also OE. Then note if it has the the upper "shade", and start calling around.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Windshield replacement 1996 F150