Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

NC inspections sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Default NC inspections sucks

I just thought I would let people know (according to a vehicle inspector from Just Inspections in Raleigh) that all vehicles that are OBDII have to have emission inspections for..............35 YEARS!!!!! I guess I'm the unfortunate owner ( for this situation) of a '96. This means I have to get emissions test until ...............2031!!!!!

My new goal now is to make my truck last until that day just to say HA! Also, I hope I make it because I will be 70 then.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I hope my trucks last that long!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Even if they had inspections here I wouldn't do it. They can kiss my ***. My license plate is expired, not planning on getting that any time soon either.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

There's bound to be a shop that will do an inspection. I'd hit up some muffler shops or tint shops in the area. I'm willing to bet they'll inspect it or know who will. Out of town relatives are nice too. I wouldn't sweat it though, with the fuel injection on our trucks, you really do get a benefit out of the emission system if your interested in the slightest bit with keeping your fuel mileage. I don't run a muffler, but the cats and smog system are all in working order.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Even if they had inspections here I wouldn't do it. They can kiss my ***. My license plate is expired, not planning on getting that any time soon either.
I went 8 years on the same tag for my truck once. It's the thought of paying property tax on a vehicle that drives me nuts.

Also, the inspection computers used are hooked up directly to the DMV. There is no real way getting around an inspection if it's OBDII. If I have to buy another truck, it will be an older one.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

Yep it's a scam to grab more money. I missed my nc inspection 1 time and they put a block on my tag. $600 fine even though it passed inspection.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm happy to say, I have no inspections where I live. Alabama is a cheap place to live.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:31 PM
mattbarron94

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Haha... For the year I lived on my grandfathers Farm in Savoy Texas I had my truck registered as a Farm truck. Only had to check emissions not safety, but I brought my dog with me and she scared the **** out of the guy running the tests, and Brandi (my dog) wouldn't get out of my truck so the guy just passed me.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

In California there is no rolling age. Meaning my truck must be inspected every other year forever. Unless they change the law. Other then the irritation of having to pay for it I have no problem passing the test. And on the up side a dyno emissions test is an excellent way to tell how efficiently your engine is running. According to my last test mine is much better than many of the newer vehicles on the road. The rolling age limit is kind of strange in my opinion. At what age should it be okay for you vehicle to run like crap? Its not like they are asking you to meet specs for new cars, just the ones your car should always have done. But I still don't like the government telling me I have to pay for all this junk all the time. Seems like if your doing the right thing you shouldn't have to pay. It seems to just encourage people not to follow the law. Passed emissions, good job well done no bill for you. That what I'm doing when I'm voted ruler if the world. That and eliminating hybrids.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Buy a new cat for my truck or feed my kids.

Not everyone has loads of cash all the time to fix their old *** vehicle. That's why I drive old *** vehicles, they're cheap.

Quick Reply: NC inspections sucks